White Mocha Moogle-Mint Latte ❆Genesis❆

Would you look at that, a new drabble! This is from my Chrismas Drabble challenge, using the prompt "You're the really cute barista I see everyday and on the last day before Christmas you're sad because I only come in for the limited edition peppermint mochas" which was suggested by RiggedOnRiggs

❄️❄️❄️

Genesis worked in the university library sorting books and taking inventory most days, but as soon as the fall season hit the small coffee shop in the library offered shifts to any workers who wanted to take them to make up for the sudden influx of people looking for their pumpkin spice fix. This was the first year Genesis even considered picking up one of those extra shifts, but lately he was short on cash and thought it couldn't hurt to have some extra pocket change with the holidays coming up. It also meant at the end of the workday he could make himself a free coffee to take home with his new book of the day. Plus, he was pretty good at it.

Since he mainly just spent his days alphabetizing shelves of books, he didn't normally get much customer interaction unless someone needed him to track a book down for them. He was usually pretty comfortable with this, not being the most extraverted guy in the world, but he did sometimes find himself enjoying the human interaction that came with making drinks. Especially when it came to a certain someone who wouldn't even look at him otherwise.

It wasn't so much that you wouldn't look at him, as it was you didn't know he was there. It was like you didn't know anyone was there. Day after day you spent your breaks in between classes sitting in the library reading textbooks or novels with a kind of singular focus Genesis had never seen in anybody before. It was like the floor could open up and suck in all the people and furniture in the room and you wouldn't even notice, let alone look up. The most the two of you had ever interacted was on the first day of classes when you needed help finding all of your books. Admittedly, he was completely struck by you, so in a panic he took your book list from you and walked off to gather everything without really talking to you. In the end, after he gathered everything up for you and took it to the checkout, you found out it would be over $1,000 gil to buy them all. He could still remember how red in the face you got as you sheepishly asked him to put them all back. Since then you just came in every day to read what you needed for class, then pulled out a novel until it was time for your next class or, on Tuesdays and Fridays, until closing time. On those days, you would come in with a small cheap coffee from the cafeteria and chose to sit in one of the big easy chairs out in the open instead of one of the desk cubicles. You were still buried in your books, but somehow you seemed more approachable...not that he ever did approach you.

Then one day, you approached him.

It was Tuesday November 1st, and he had just finished putting out the new holiday drink promotional display when, right on time, you walked into the library. He found himself smiling slightly at how predictable you were as he finished with the display and began to make his way back behind the counter to help the guy who just walked up to the coffee shop.

"Can I try that new holiday special?" He asked.

"Yeah, of course. What size?"

It was a perfectly normal customer and oder request, and he finished making it in no time flat. He handed the man the hot cup of coffee, took the money and put it in the register. The same rinse and repeat procedure he did all day every day for the last 2 hours of his shift since the start of October. As the guy thanked him and walked away, Genesis scanned the library boredly waiting for someone else to show up when something that never happened before happened. You had looked up from your book, and for once you were the one who was staring at him. You got to your feet and gathered all your stuff before walking over to coffee counter, dropping your small plain cafeteria coffee in the garbage as you walked up.