Chapter Nineteen

I took for granted, all the times,

That I thought would last somehow,

I hear the laughter,

I taste the tears,

But I can't get near you now,

Oh, can't you see it baby,

You've got me goin' crazy.

RIGHT HERE WAITING FOR YOU- RICHARD MARX

Smitty Ray

"So um... thanks for coming." was Blaise's awkward goodbye to me as we stare at each other.

"Do you want help to clean up?" I ask equally awkwardly scratching the back of my neck and taking in the hot mess that was his house.

"Nah. I'll pay a company to come out." he mumbled biting his lip.

"What'll you tell 'em happened?" I asked.

He looks behind him, at all the broken things on the floor.

"I woke up and hated everything." he shrugs and giggles, I frowned.

"Hello, Lara Croft?" I frowned harder. Blaise just sighs and smiles a bit.

"See you around." he goes to hug me. It hurt so much when he physically recoiled, smile wavering and eyes darting at anything but me.

"Bye." he says quickly and shuts the door in my face. I sigh and walk away, back home to my room where I run the last few hours over in my mind.

Blaise was a right mess. Drunk, crying. It hurt me so deeply that I was his last and only resort knowing full well that if he wasn't so alone he'd never have called me.

I've resigned myself to watching him. Been a while now, a few weeks since his mom's funeral and Blaise slowly but surely got back his mojo. But try as he may, he's not fooling me.

God damn it. It's so hard, watching the one thing you want most and can't have.

Watch as he looks more beautiful every day, sounds sweeter than you ever thought possible.

I can't even think straight, no pun intended but then again, I don't want to think straight.

I want back what Blaise and I had. Maybe this separation gave me the kick in the nuts I needed. Who knew? But at this moment as I look at him throw his head back and laugh, eyes closed and the long expanse of his neck on display, I wish I was the one he laughed so carefree for.