Chapter 1

This story's characters have a lot to do with me and my friend, and the plot has some to do with myself and some to do simply with the fact I have a creative mind.

I apologize if I use any offensive language, etc.
Hope you enjoy!

-ALL RIGHTS RESERVED-
----------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

~Zoey's POV~

"Zoooooo!" My 4 year old bother screamed as he ran in between my legs.

"What are you doing little man?" I asked as I swooped down to pick him up. He was actually kinda small for his age, short and lightweight. He had light blonde hair and very pretty blue eyes - much like his dads. (I'm glad that's the only thing he got from him.)

"I was just having fun." He answered me as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. I set him down as he answered me and then put my hands on my hip when he turned around to stare at me for asking such a dumb question.

"Why don't you go watch tv? We can play after I clean the kitchen. Promise." I moved  to grab the remote and turn the tv on. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as I walked by and then went into the kitchen.

On the counter I found a note.

-Watch your brother. I won't be home till later today. Probably not till after dinner. Make sure he is fed and gets to bed on time.
- Mom.

"Lovely. You always know how to make me feel loved and appreciated." I muttered under my breath.

She had been doing this a lot more lately. Leaving early and not coming home till late, sometimes only long enough to shower and change clothes. I don't know where she went and quite frankly, I don't care. I know I sound like a horrible daughter, but after her divorce from my step-dad, she kinda quit caring about me. She still cared enough about my brother to tell me to take care of him. But if he was at his dads (which was almost never now), I got nothing. So I don't care where she goes or who she's with or what she does. She still pays the bills, I still go to school, and I am capable of watching him. So physically it's not a big deal. And as for how it feels mentally, I'm numb to it now. It used to hurt, all the time; when I'd wake up and she wasn't here, but now it's normal.  Now it's routine. So I let it be.

I took a good long look around the familiar small kitchen. There were dishes lining the counter with the sink, the coffee pot was behind all of these dishes, still on. And the on the other wall where the stove was, there was left out food and a gallon of milk that was no longer good. It disgusted me . How can one place get so messy in one night? Not even, maybe a few hours. I cleaned it yesterday. Twice. But obviously, it didn't do a bit of good.

"Better get started."

Just as I was starting the dish water, my phone began to ring my favorite song, "Moments" by One Direction, it had to be my best friend. She had truly been a life saver since my mom had changed.

I had been depressed, started doing things that I probably shouldn't  have (even though I still do some of them because they get me through and they allow me to release all of my emotions) and maybe even slightly suicidal right after it happened, but she helped me through it. She made me think of my brother, James, and how much it would hurt him. I practically raised him, for the past year and a half it was just me and him. She reminded me of all of this when I was lost and needed her most. I sighed, dried my hands and went to pick up the phone before she blew it up. Yep, Leigh, just as I suspected.

"Hey Li. What's up?" In the next instant I had to yank my phone away from my ear because she was screaming so loud.

"OMG GUESS WHAT!!???" I could just see her bouncing up and down wherever she stood.

"I don't want to guess because I know you will tell me anyway. So spill."

"Awwwww but Zoey! Fine. But you're no fun. MY MOM GOT US ONE DIRECTION TICKETS!!! For the concert - TONIGHT"

I could tell from her voice that she was probably on the brink of passing out. I could understand though, I loved One Direction. They were there for me when no one was, they saved me on several occasions - and they all seemed genuinely nice.

"Wow, I can't, wow. This is just, wow."

Nice Zoey. You really have a way with words.

"I KNOW!!! GET JAMES READY, WE ARE GOING SHOPPING!!" she told me in a very commanding voice.

I looked around the kitchen and sighed, it would just have to wait. It's not like mom would care. And chances are, I'd be taking James to the concert with me, so he needed new clothes.

"Alright. I'll be over in about 20 minutes." I hung up and drained the water I had just run.

"Come here James, let's go get you changed. We're going shopping with Li-Li." I let him go pee, changed him out of his pajamas and then I went into his room and got a bag together before picking him up and grabbing my keys off the counter locking the house as I went. I put him in his car seat and got in the driver side and began to back out of the driveway.

"This is going to be one LONG
afternoon" I muttered to myself.