Chapter 22

I promise I am not purposely taking forever to update. I'm trying to keep up with the stories I am writing but balancing everything is proving difficult. I will try to update a little more over the Christmas break! Hope you guys enjoy this chapter - I'm sorry that it is a little short.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ZOEY'S POV~

After I laid James down for a nap, I quietly walked out of the room and down the hall - back to the living room. When I entered, the boys looked up and a casual conversation filled with questions began.

"Are you a fan of the band?" Liam asked.

'Am I a fan?' No. I'm so much more than a fan. But instead of going into all of that, I simply answer "yes. I love your music."

Louis then piped up with "Do you play sports?"

"Not anymore" I murmur. I used to be a gifted dancer. It was my passion. Before everything fell apart that is.

"Favorite color?" I heard Niall asked.

My answer was quick because it didn't require any thought at all.

"Red."

Harry then cut in quickly asking if we wanted to watch a movie.

"Sure - I'm up for anything Disney" I answered. Disney, you can't ever go wrong with that.

"What about the lion king?" Louis asked.

"THAT'S MY FAVORITE!!!" I love that movie and the fact that they want to watch it with me is nice. I don't normally have anyone to watch movies with besides Leigh - but we like different kinds. This whole experience is really refreshing.

They all laughed and we moved towards the couches to settle in as Louis put the movie in. I sat between Harry and Louis on the couch while Liam and Niall sat together on the love seat. Right as the opening song started, my phone began to ring. I didn't check the caller ID - I just clicked the green button and lifted it to my  ear.

"Hello?"

"Where the hell are you? Why isn't the house clean? AND there's no coffee."

Well shit. She wasn't supposed to be home. And if the boys couldn't hear her, they were all deaf. Fantastic. But instead of getting upset, or crying or backing down and apologizing - I got mad.

"I'm out." I said curtly. "Why? It's not like you care."

I could feel the boys looking at me, so I got up and walked out into the hall, listening to my mom.

"I don't care?? I ask about James every day! I pay for your school, and your car and your phone. Obviously I care."

These comments made me even angrier and I felt myself losing control over my temper.

"That doesn't mean you care! Especially about me. You care about James some, but nothing compared to how much you care about yourself."

By now I was pacing back and forth down the hall trying not to yell too loud and wake James, but at the same time I was done censoring myself. I was letting my temper explode and it felt good.

"You never cared about me! And you only care about James when it's convenient. If you cared you would be home more. If you cared you wouldn't have ruined our "family", and I don't mean just with the divorce. If you cared you would come home and tuck your son into bed instead of me having to explain to him why his mom is never home and try to reassure him that she still loves him. But in all honesty, I don't think you do love him. I know you don't love me. So don't feed me this "I care" bullshit. I'm tired of it".

I could hear her taking deep breaths on the other side. I could see her angry face and I sure as hell hope what I said hurt. Because it's been hurting me for years.

"I'm going to work. I don't want you here when I come back."

I guess I really pissed her off this time.

"It's not like you would notice." I say and hang up before she can reply with more lies.  I take a deep breath and turn around to see 4 confused faces looking at me, waiting for an explanation.

I shrug and say "I have a fucked up family. James is still napping, do you think you guys could handle him for a couple of hours?"

"Sure" Liam says "won't be a problem."

I turn and look at Harry who has the most worried expression on his face.

"Can you drive me to my house to pack a bag?"

He doesn't ask any questions yet, just nods and walks to the door with me trailing behind. I was both furious and sad all at the same time. I knew once me and Harry were alone the questions would begin. I don't want to tell him everything, not yet.......but I'm sure I could tell him about my mom. Not my whole story. Not yet.

I take a deep breath as we reach the car, get in and begin to back out of the driveway. I could feel Harry's curious eyes on me so I took another deep breath and begin to open up slightly for the first time in years.