Trouble's Brewing

Carlos' P.O.V

We sat at the picnic table outside, eating a rather delicious lunch. I had a chicken salad sandwich and a bag of chips with an apple juice. I was glad that Jay had brought my food, because I didn't want to have to eat the standard school meal.

Jay bit into his sloppy Joe sandwich, meat falling out the back end of it. He grunted, annoyed. "Hate when that happens." He mumbles to himself. I giggle at the way he's acting.

He places the meat back into the sandwich and eats it in two big bites. He devours an apple and slouches back in his chair after he's finished eating. He drinks a bit of a soda he bought and burps loudly.

"Ew." Mal scrunched up her face at him.

"Did anyone study for that physics test we have coming up?" Ben asked nervously.

Jay sat up straight in his chair before talking. "I don't really study, but yeah, I studied for that."

"Forget that, did anyone study for that freaking calculus test?" Mal said, her eyes looking worried.

Everyone except for Doug shook their head.

I turn my attention back to my book, but Jay taps my shoulder. "Yeah?" I answer.

"Want to go to the football field and hang out today?" He asked quietly as the others talked.

"Yeah, but we have to stop by the dorm first so I can get my physics book. I really need to study."

He nodded and smiled, reaching his hand out, intending for me to grab it. I grabbed his hand nervously.

"Sooo. Everyone, about the Summer Dance? Anyone going?" Evie asked, looking hopeful.

"Um, I am." I said, looking at Jay who nodded. "Yeah, same." Mal said. I could assume Ben was going to since it was a couples dance.

"Oh, so everyone's going!" Evie said, her face brightening up into a ball of excitement.

Doug nodded. "Mal, you can help me plan it!" Evie said. Mal closed a book she was reading from and looked up. "Actually, I'll be studying my spell book. While you're doing all your planning, of course. So, no ditto."

"Mal you say that everyday to me." Ben said, looking amused, but sounding surprised. Mal rolled her eyes.

"Okay, okay. I just don't want to help you." Mal said, tilting her head in a sympathetic motion.

"Oh well. You are." Evie said, picking up her tray as the time to go approached. On our way from the trash, Evie and Mal start to playfully fuss about Mal helping Evie. They continued the whole way to class.

Jay's P.O.V

I couldn't wait for Carlos to pack his things so we could go to the field. It's been a while since we'd taken that walk in the forest and I miss our alone time that we'd had. He looked around the room now for his physics book.

"Ugh," He grunted. "Can't find it."

"Where was the last place you had it?" I ask, walking up to him.

"Under my bed since we don't really use it in class." He said, scratching his head wonderously.

"Wait, I put it in my locker." I said, wincing at my own answer.

"Jay? Why didn't you tell me?" He didn't get mad like I thought he would. I don't know why I thought he'd get mad, he never does. Not with me, anyways.

"Uh, sorry. I just remembered doing it." I said, scratching the back of my head nervously. He cracked a smile, punching me in my chest playfully.

"Doofus." He said. I bit my lip and began to tickle him, laughing at his soft voice giggling. I chased him around the room a bit before pushing him onto my bed and landing beside him, tickling him. His giggles got louder and louder until it got to the point where he screamed in overwhelmed excitement.