He realizes he's staring when Stiles glances back at him, his internal recitation of the pledge of allegiance halting.

Shit, how is someone even that attractive. What in the actual fuck? What kind of genetic lottery did you win?! TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

Derek almost worries that the guy knows about his powers, but he knows that isn't what's going on. Stiles is just weird.

It should be illegal to dress that well when you're that attractive. Or maybe it should be the law...all attractive people need to dress like models for expensive brands...but then they would be even more powerful. No, they should have to dress like slobs. Even the frickin playing field.

It goes on like that until they arrive at Derek's stop, Stiles' thoughts darting from one topic to the next, all somehow related to how attractive Derek is. Derek struggles to follow Stiles' sporadically linked trains of thought, feeling guilty about the invasion of privacy, but he doesn't think he could tear his attention away even if he wanted to.

When Derek gets up to leave, it takes a moment for Stiles to notice.

Aw shit that ass was sculpted by Michelangelo himself and hot damn am I grateful thank you Jesus amen—is that sacrilegious? Super sorry about that God, I'm just a huge fan of your work. Great job on that one.

Derek smiles the entire way to work.

*****

He's almost forgotten about Stiles by the next day. Derek doesn't want to be conceited, but he knows what he looks like. He's overheard more than his fair share of people having fantasies starring him. It's one of the perks of the gig, being able to know exactly who has a crush on him.

He doesn't really expect to see him again, so when he hears Stiles' loud thoughts as Stiles walks up and stops a few feet away from him, Derek is surprised.

OH MY GOD it's Sexy Stubble. Two days in a row. God do I hope this becomes a daily occurrence, it almost makes this stupid commute worth it. Moving to New York was the best decision ever.

So he just moved to New York. Interesting. But Sexy Stubble? Derek finds himself self-consciously scratching his jaw. He hadn't realized that his stubble is his defining feature.

Of course, it's his mistake to call attention to his stubble, because that just sends Stiles off on a fantasy where Derek rubs his face up and down Stiles' body, making him desperate as Derek refuses to give him what he wants. Fantasy Stiles is begging for a release by the time the train pulls up, and the only pause in Stiles' daydream is when he frantically tries to get a seat where he can see Derek. He succeeds, and Derek struggles not to find it adorable how happy it makes him. The train hasn't even started moving when Stiles' daydream resumes.

By the time they pull up to Derek's stop, he's awkwardly hard in his slacks, willing his erection to go away.

*****

It becomes a daily occurrence, Stiles sitting across from him on the subway, fantasizing, but it doesn't take long for the fantasies to become about more than just sex. Stiles wonders about Derek's name, imagines Derek sitting down next to him and introducing himself. For some reason, Stiles has decided that Derek's name is Miguel, and Derek struggles not to laugh the first time Stiles uses that in a fantasy.

Honestly, Miguel is so much better than Derek in every way. He can carry on a conversation, isn't awkward or stilted when he speaks. He's nice and even funny sometimes. He's gentle with Stiles but also ridiculously good in bed.

Miguel is very experienced, which Derek tries not to be bothered by. He falls extremely short of Stiles' expectations in that department. With his ability, it's always felt wrong trying to have sex with people. He's only ever been with Paige, who knew about his ability and had a charm of her own to shield her thoughts. They'd been together for three years before they got into a huge fight because even though she knew, her friends and family didn't, and it bothered her to know that he could read their minds.