Watch You Smile

Watch You Smile by alexenglish
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

(A/N AT THE END IN CASE YOU WERE GOING TO SKIP THIS OR SOMETHING IDK ANYWAY.....................................um........
Sounds Live Feels Live anyone? 😆)

The Spirit Store at Beacon Hills High provides students with highly overpriced necessities during the day. Food mostly, but that's where you can also order Beacon Hills High School themed decals, Beacon Hills High School shirts and jackets! Buy a mug, buy a sticker, buy a bedazzled cell phone charm to show your school spirit! Then, there's the balloon delivery system that's nestled in the corner. A wall of unblown foil balloons with congratulatory messages on them. The plain balloons that bulk up the balloon arrangements sit, without air, in boxes sorted by color. They make Stiles think of unused condoms whenever he sees them.

The balloon service is a commodity utilized by overactive parents on their children's birthday. They send a handful of balloons and an overly cutesy card. Their child gets to walk around with the colorful declarations of their love and adoration tied to their backpack all day. It's used by gangs of girls who are best friends to show their appreciation for each other. A foil balloon declaring the owner's perfection is the new friendship bracelet. It's used by couples to show their love on anniversaries or birthdays. That's usually the modest arrangement, one or three pink and red balloons. Maybe a rose or a small stuffed animal. When asked what they're for, the person holding them will blush and bite their lip and giggle. It's gross and it sucks and it allows them to become a barricade of colorful latex all of the school.

Then, there's Valentine's Day and that's a whole 'nother creature. A gnarly, absolutely hated creature, that Stiles has been trying to kill with fire for the past three years, with no success at all. Valentine's Day is the actual worst.

Stiles thought working in the Spirit Store with Scott would be awesome. A room full of food, air conditioning, the general lack of actually having to pay attention to a class. They got to learn how to use a cash register, they could actually put this on a resume as work experience. Wow, was he wrong. Especially, since they landed with the second hour time slot. This is when all the balloons get filled to be delivered during homeroom on the big day of the V, V-Day, Day of Reminding You That You're Pathetically Lonely (Here's Looking At You, Stiles). Or, the Friday before the 14th, in this instance.

The other things were good, great even, but the balloons.

Valentine's Day on campus has turned into some sort of balloon banquet out-do-a-thon. Orders pour in during January, up until the second hour before balloons are supposed to be delivered. It's no secret that Stiles will branish Allison Argent's strict authority at people when they try to put in ridiculous orders, like 100 red ones. It takes hours to fills orders. Days, sometimes. This year is no exception.

Stiles blames Derek Hale and Jackson Whittemore, personally. Everyone blames Derek Hale and Jackson Whittemore. Freshman year, Jackson was dating Lydia and Derek was dating Braedon. They had an unacknowledged battle to out-gift give each other on the week leading up to Valentine's Day. Every year since, people are take that as precedent. As seniors, it seems like their entire graduating class is taking it to heart. Some of the bundles are overly extravagant, completely unnecessary. They include giant stuffed animals and outsourced roses by the dozen. One kid asked if they would carry a radio and play a song to his Valentine. Another asked if there was anyway she could order a singing telegram.

"Why can't anyone order green balloons? Blue balloons? Any color, but red. I feel like I'm going to be seeing in shades of red for the rest of my life," Stiles grumbles. There's a pile of latex balloons next to the helium tank. The ones that ended up with stretched out lips and punctured necks. The victims of Stiles' impatient fingers stabbing through the latex, murder victims.