Read My Mind

Read My Mind by sunnydalewerewolf
----------------

Derek Hale has gotten used to overhearing thoughts he has no particular desire to hear. At this point, he knows way more about his family members than any person should have the right. Even though his family became aware of his ability when he was only three years old, it took until he was sixteen for Deaton, their emissary, to be able to develop a charm that would ward off his ability to read their minds.

His family, as well as his only three friends in the world, Isaac, Erica, and Boyd, all know about Derek's power and wear the charm either around their necks or in the form of a bracelet.

Unfortunately, try as he might, Derek can't spend all day cooped up with his pack. And as successful as Deaton was in creating a charm to shield people from Derek's ability, he's had no luck making one for Derek to wear to turn his power off. So when Derek goes out into public, he hears people's thoughts, usually just blurring together into a hum unless Derek chooses to pick one out and focus on it.

Public transportation is the worst.

His daily commute to his office building in the city, where he works as a social worker, is the worst part of his day. When he's in crowded places, the hum of thoughts and voices can become almost too much to handle. It would have been easy for Derek to become a shut-in, but the incident with Kate as a teenager, in addition to what happened with Isaac and his father, made him realize that there are some fucked up people out there, and sometimes they don't get what they deserve. Derek uses his ability to help people in the best way he can.

Every day, before he leaves his house he sets his headphones as loud as he can stand them, which isn't all that loud considering his enhanced werewolf hearing. The headphones are enough to drown out the hum of thoughts on the subway.

Or at least they usually are. That is until today, when a guy with what Derek swears are the loudest thoughts he has ever heard sits across from him just after Derek takes his seat, and then Derek's mind is flooded with the image of himself taking his shirt off, sinking to his knees—Derek snaps his head up, eyes locking on the guy's.

Except the guy isn't even looking at him, is staring down at his hands instead. In the back of his mind, Derek is still getting the boy's fantasy. Derek unbuckling the guy's pants, opening his mouth once he's slid them down, not wasting any time to pull his boxers down. Derek takes a moment to look at him, taking in his adorably upturned nose and the moles that dot his cheeks, the bedhead that makes Derek think that he just woke up and left his house without looking in the mirror. He's young, but not too young, probably somewhere in his early twenties. The scent of arousal pours off him, enough that as a werewolf he would have figured out what was going on in the guy's mind even if he couldn't read his thoughts. Of course, if he were a normal werewolf, he wouldn't know that the scent was a result of the guy thinking about Derek.

The guy glances back up at Derek, eyes widening when he notices Derek's eyes on him. Derek looking up at him, eyes wide as sucks the tip of his cock into his mouth. The guy looks away.

Stop it Stiles, you're on public transportation. Calm the fuck down.

Stiles? Derek really hopes that's the man's name and not just what he calls his penis.

Derek struggles not to smile in amusement when he notices the guy willing his erection down.

Okay, okay, pledge of allegiance backwards. Shit. I don't know the pledge of allegiance backwards. Forwards should work, though. I pledge allegiance...

As a general rule, Derek doesn't listen into people's thoughts for longer than he has to. In fact, he usually goes out of his way to block them out, sometimes yelling nonsense in his own head in an effort to not hear them. With Stiles, though, Derek can't help it. The guy's thoughts are loud. Really loud. Almost obnoxiously loud.