Teardrops on My Guitar

Teardrops on My Guitar by hazelNuts
💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧
Erica is watching Derek take his final bow with a frown. Something isn't right. Derek is mopey, listless, and he's completely changed the set list for the last two shows. Instead of the usual mix up of upbeat, broken-hearted, angry and wistful, everything is now broken-hearted and wistful. The fans have noticed. Rumours have started popping up, most of them say that Derek is tired and needs a break. There are a couple comments about there maybe being a girlfriend. She's even seen one suggesting addiction, but that one had quickly been bulldozed over by the fans.

Derek walks past her on his way to his dressing room, barely acknowledging her.

'What's wrong with him,' Malia asks. Well, Erica assumes she's asking. The girl has trouble with intonation.

'I don't know.'

'Fix it. It's depressing me.' And the bass player walks off, leaving Erica with an ever deeper frown.

Fuck, even Malia has noticed something is wrong. She usually doesn't notice until you've spelled it out for her.

Erica turns on her heels and marches to Derek's dressing room. Something has to be done. She storms in without bothering to knock, that should get some reaction. But Derek doesn't even lift up his head from where he's lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling. The room is a mess, clothes and half-written songs everywhere. Most notable are the chocolate wrappers.

Chocolate and song writing.

Derek is pining. She's never seen it before. Kate happened before her time, and he and Paige were more friends than lovers.

'What's her name?' she asks picking her way through the wrappers and crumpled up papers.

'Who?'

'The girl you're pining over.'

'There is no girl,' Derek says, but Erica knows she's struck a chord. He's looking at her now, and his shoulders are tensing.

She sits down on the coach and unfolds one of the pieces of paper. She barely catches a glimpse before Derek snatches it out of her hand.

'Right. Is that why you are writing a song about "amber eyes"?' she snorts.

'There is no girl, Erica.'

'As one of your best friends and your PA, I'm calling bullshit. You can't tell me you're not pining for someone with all the evidence piled up in this room.'

'I told you there is no girl.'

Erica squints her eyes at him. Derek is hiding something. He's avoiding eye contact and his ears are turning red. He keeps saying there is no girl, but if it's not a girl than-

'Oh.'

Derek's blush is spreading across his cheeks. He attempts to get up, to get away, but Erica grabs his wrist and pulls him back down.

'Oh no. You don't,' she grins. 'What's his name?'

'Stiles.' It's almost too soft to hear.

'Stiles? What kind of n-'

'It's a nickname. His real name is supposed to be unpronounceable,' Derek interrupts her.

'Ah.' There are a thousand questions spinning through her head, but one is jumping to the forefront. 'And why did you never tell me you were into guys, as well?'

Derek shakes his head. 'It's just him. He's-'

He doesn't finish the sentence, but Erica catches the twitch of his lips and the sparkle in his eyes. This Stiles must be some guy.