i feel you in every heartbeat

i feel you in every heartbeat by warlocks
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

i.

He'd had it all planned out.

He made the decision when he was eleven, when they started teaching them about it at school. The day of his twenty-second birthday, and therefore of one other specific person's twenty-second year of living, he would take a day off from whatever responsibility he had—be it school or work or playing video games with Scott or, hell, he'd even give up tagging along with his dad to an epic murder scene—and he'd go to his dad's house well on time, and he'd lay down in his bed and just wait. He'd wait for the clock to turn twelve-oh-three in the afternoon, for what others described as a tingly feeling spreading up from his toes to his head. Then, he would feel like he was floating, and the next instant he would be in somebody else's body. And someone else would be in his.

He would swap bodies with his soulmate.

Of course, it was always possible that his soulmate had died, or that there had been a problem during their birth and therefore the swapping process would get messed up; it only worked if both parties were born at the exact same time, on the exact same day. He wasn't going to think about that, though he did have a plan in case that happened—ways to seek out this person, track down hospital records and such. Danny would crack from his groveling eventually.

Yes, Stiles had a plan.

Then finals happened.

Stiles knew he shouldn't have taken those twelve-week courses instead of the normal sixteen-week ones. But he'd done it anyway with the thought that it would mean more time off between semesters. So in the rush of studying, extra caffeine shots, trying to convince Scott that starting a relationship so close to his twenty-second birthday was a bad idea, and juggling his job with all of the above, he had completely forgotten that it was his own birthday.

He didn't really pay it any mind when his toes started going numb during his Trig 1 exam. He was merely annoyed when the numb, slightly ticklish feeling spread up to his calves. He was silently asking the universe what he'd done to deserve this treatment when his thighs started twitching minutely. Reaching down with the hand not holding his pen, he rubbed his leg while looking over the next problem on his test. Part of his attention went out to the equations, while the other part of his ADD brain was supplying him with ways to describe the sensations now going up to his hips. Numb, heavy, itchy, sparkly, twitchy, tingly—

Tingly. He was feeling tingly. It was 12:03 PM on the eighth of April and there was a tingly feeling spreading up from his toes.

It was as if the realization had sped up the process, because suddenly his entire body felt tingly and sensitive and he could swear gravity had failed on him just then; he couldn't feel the chair he was sitting on, or where he'd planted his feet on the floor, or the clothes he was wearing, or the pen he was holding, and then his vision started blurring and morphing into a picture of some place that was not his classroom.

"Oh, shi—"

"—it," he finished with a different voice. He sat up in a flash, gripping his head with foreign hands a moment later at the wooziness that resulted. Groaning in that voice, which—damn, it sounded nice, and distinctly male—he took stock of himself and his surroundings.

He was clearly no longer 140 pounds of fragile skin and bones, because he was definitely having trouble getting up from—what, a bed? Yes, a bed. He was in his soulmate's bed, because his soulmate had remembered to be considerate about the whole thing and prepare for the soulswapping. As opposed to Stiles, who had forgotten and left his soulmate to the fate of disorientation in the middle of a full classroom. Well, this relationship was already up to a good start.