Chapter 3 - A chance for something new

Start from the beginning

The noises of nature filled the air. The cicadas were beckoning as the sun beat down, while the magpies were carolling to the backdrop of the running river that was soothing to the ears. Before long they were both reeling in a catch and whooping for joy.

Their conversation flowed smoothly, liked they had known each other forever. They discussed their many likes and dislikes, the differences between their two countries and Chance told her all about his friends back in the States.

An insistent alarm started beeping and Sam got up to grab the sunscreen from the Ute. She glanced back to see Chance sitting relaxed and comfortable, lazily reeling in his line a bit. She smiled, so far today had been a great day. She threw the sunscreen at Chance who caught it effortlessly.

"Again?" He asked with a raised eyebrow

"Do you want to get incredibly burnt? Even in the shade you can burn." He sighed but followed her instructions.

"Do you want lunch or a swim? I think we've caught enough fish." She gestured to the ice filled esky that was now brimming with their catch.

"I vote swim." He said with an earth shattering grin

"Yeah me too."

They smiled at each other before quickly divesting of their clothes. Chance tried to stop himself from drooling when her first saw her. She was spectacular in her one piece swim suit. He was so distracted by her that she was already jumping in the water with a squeal.

Sam turned around to face him, wondering what was taking him so long. She noticed him staring almost in awe at her, his mouth agape and his hands halfway to removing his shirt. She could feel her cheeks start to redden so she quickly dove into the water.

"Come on slow poke, we don't have all day." She yelled out to him when she surfaced

Then she found herself almost gulping water as she tried to keep afloat. He had quickly stripped his shirt off and Sam let out a loud sigh. He was obviously a guy that worked out; he had a drool worthy six pack among other things. In fact his whole body was toned and breathe taking.

He ran toward the water but stopped dead with a groan at the coldness of the water. Sam laughed at him as he tiptoed into the water. He almost slipped on one of the mossy rocks and Sam's giggles grew even louder.

"Are you laughing?" He asked gruffly

"You should see yourself, it's hilarious." Sam replied with a giggle

"Well you asked for it then."

Before she could move away he caught up with her and pushed her under the water. She struggled against him until he let her up spluttering. She glared at him playfully then tried to push him under only to find him standing in the water that was almost over her head.

He started laughing at her defeated expression until a handful of water splashed him in the face. She darted away as fast as she could while trying to contain her giggles. A hand snatched her and dragged her back against his warm, muscular chest.

For a split second they both stopped breathing as they stared at each other, sparks flew between them. Their hearts were thudding wildly almost as one as Chance ran his fingers over her cheek and down to cup her face in his hand.

The movement startled Sam and she quickly pulled away and swam to shore. She berated herself the whole way. This wouldn't work; once he found out the truth about her he would wish that she had kept ignoring him. She had been surprised that Brandy hadn't already used it as an excuse to get closer to him. But that was probably because Sam had been trying to avoid him not get to know him.