"Not even a clue?" Keri asked the newcomers.

"Nothing." Everett shook his head. "We tracked them until the river and then we lost the trail. They must've shifted into human form when they got out of the water."

"Then track their human form," Ivan said.

"Son. Let the adults talk." Conrad put his left hand over the teenager's shoulder and placed his right index finger in front of his own lips.

"I'm nineteen; I'm not a child anymore..." Ivan began to oppose his father, but Keri raised a hand and the boy fell silent.

"Why couldn't you track them in their human form?" My childhood friend asked. Sure, the way the intruder smelled would change once they've shifted, but the patrols should be able to isolate his scent from all of those which belonged to pack members.

"All the scents we picked up on the other side of the river bank were familiar ones; there was no one new," Everett replied.

"Does a shifter's scent differ in human and wolf form?" Riley, who had left the railing and moved closer to us, asked, regret displaying on his face once we turned to him.

"Yes, Riley, the scent changes," I replied.

"I could call back the extra patrols and leave only those on duty?" Everett suggested, but Keri shook her head.

"No, let them search." She let out a deep breath. "Nevertheless, we should start the meeting; we've kept our people waiting long enough. Are you ready, Riley?"

"A-am I... I'm sorry, what?" My mate stuttered.

"To speak," the Alpha clarified. "You are the only witness; you must speak in front of the community."

"But... But I already spoke to you. I told you everything."

"You told me and some Council members, but you haven't spoken to the community."

Riley was pale, his hands twitching nervously beside his thighs.

"Maybe I should speak instead of him." I stepped forward. "Riley is obviously upset, Keri."

"I can do it," my mate insisted, a spark of determination lighting his eyes.

He wanted to prove himself to me. Endearing, but pointless; he had nothing to prove.

He'd been thrust into our world and was standing in a pub full of strangers after being threatened by an unknown shifter, the one who might be responsible for the series of murders in our town. And yet, he was standing, ready to fight in his own way alongside us. In my eyes, he would already be brave enough for that alone, even if he hadn't won my admiration for having to fend for himself after his parents had disowned him.

Nevertheless, I realized I had to let him talk. I already knew he was brave; now he had to learn that himself.

"I just don't know what to say," he added, abashed.

"Don't worry, Riley." Keri gave him a small smile. "I'll start, then you'll describe what you saw and answer some questions from the pack if they are aimed at you."

Our Alpha moved to the railing to preside over her wards. Silence took over the premises when she raised her hands.

"We all know why we've gathered here this morning," she began in a clear voice, "and I'm sure you've already guessed that we have yet to capture the intruder. Our patrols managed to track them South to the river, but lost the scent amongst the water. The patrols that have returned would not be going on a search mission again; my brother is still out there with the rest of us."