Chapter 21

A/N: Man, I had to come up with a whole bunch of new characters for this chapter (some didn't even make it into the chapter) and they aren't even important in this book. I couldn't help but come up with some back stories for them though so I'll probably end up writing about some of them branching out and forming a pack of their own at some point...

Anyway, since there are about twenty people here, I included some pictures to help you understand who is related or mated to whom. Some of these relationships have been mentioned before, but I figured I'd refresh your memory ;)

*****

I rushed upstairs and right into the bathroom. My t-shirt flew in the laundry basket as I turned on the sink to wash my face and under my armpits. I was in need of a proper shower, but I had no time for that luxury. The towel I used to dry myself was thrown next to my t-shirt.

"What's going on, son?" My mom ambushed me in the hallway.

"Anthony was here looking for you, but we told him you and Kennedy were out for a run," dad added.

"I can't talk right now." I kissed mom on the forehead and patted dad once on the back when I passed by him. "I need to get to Keri's."

"It's not another murder, is there?"

I paused at my mother's worried words long enough to reassure her - 'Nothing of that kind' - before jogging downstairs and out the door.

"Don't follow."

I heard Kennedy groan from behind me, but he did as I'd ordered and stayed on the porch.

Nothing of that kind, but if I'm right, it has to do with the murderer, I thought as I neared my Alpha's home.

I didn't bother knocking – I could hear people talking inside – and let myself into Keri's house. Six out of the seven other Council members were already here along with about a dozen young pack members - most of them teenagers and couple of twenty-year-olds.

"Where's our Alpha?" I asked Olivia – Keri's aunt and previous Beta of the Silver Bullets.

"Talking to Kelly on the phone," she replied, darting an anxious glance towards the teenagers who had gathered in a tight circle and talked amongst themselves. "I'm afraid our favorite police woman won't be able to take her place in the Council tonight."

"I see."

I watched as Conrad approached his son Ivan and the rest of the teens. I nodded towards the group.

"They still thinking that we should go after the killer ourselves?"

"Indeed. That is why it would've been better if Kelly was here," Galen – a man in his sixties and the eldest Council member joined our conversation. "Did you enjoy your run?"

I was surprised by the sudden change of topic, but nodded nevertheless.

"Good." A smile poked underneath his thick, grizzled beard. This mix of white and grey with just a dash of brown made for a very interesting coat when he was in an animal form. He was one of the few Silver Bullets to have white fur. White in their fur was more accurate as we didn't have a single purely white wolf.

"Well," Keri walked in, "looks like we are all here."

"My sister isn't here," Jasper contradicted.