Chapter 14

A/N: A lot of you asked me what were the differences between Dayer and Nighter vampires. Part of them are explained in You are the Answer, Ch. 22, a bit in this chapter, a bit in the picture above, but if you want to know more, join the facebook group CatMint5's Funky Monkeys and read the document I uploaded today (Humans & Humanoid Species 101, Sentinel Training Edition). The link will be in the comments.

*****

I opened the door and let Keri walk into the mall first. Some people carrying large bags with the logos of different stores were bustling about, others were casually leaning on the railing looking at the crowds on the floors beneath them and then there were those sauntering in and out of the shops.

"The Milk & Cream is on the second floor," I told my friend and the two of us stepped onto the escalator.

"Nervous?" She asked, noticing me fidget.

"A bit." I hugged myself and bit my lip. "A lot." I then admitted. "We left it at an awkward goodbye last night; I'm not even sure Riley would want to see me."

"Was it your fault?"

I nodded.

"From what you've told me about Riley," she stepped off the moving stairs and I followed suit, "he'll forgive you as soon as you say a sincere 'I'm sorry'."

We headed towards the big sign that read Milk & Cream. Keri reached for the door, but I grabbed her wrist.

"Wait."

She turned around with a raised eyebrow.

"Look." I nodded towards the large window.

He was behind the bar, a jolly smile on his lips as he served a little girl with a huge ribbon that held her ponytail. She sat between two adults - probably her parents - but by the way her head was tilted, I could tell her attention was on Riley and Riley alone. He was speaking fast through his grin, animatedly swinging his arms. Whatever story he was narrating, it ended with applause from the girl.

I felt Keri's gaze on me so I swirled around.

"What?"

"You seem so content," she murmured and I turned to the window again, this time looking at my reflection and not inside the café.

She was right: I had a smile on my face and my body was relaxed. Just watching Riley joyful did that to me; it made me calm down. The little girl perhaps played a part in easing my nerves as well; seeing my mate interact so positively with a kid once again made me dream of the two of us adopting. Riley would be wonderful with the children; they will be very happy with us.

"Let's go." I muttered and headed back towards the escalator.

"But..." She must've stayed in her spot at first as a few moments later I heard her heels hurriedly clatter. "I thought you wanted to see Riley?"

"And I saw him." I stepped on the escalator.

"What about apologizing?"

I sighed.

"I still want to do that, but... He just seems so cheerful right now." The image of Riley smiling down at the girl prevented me from turning around and running into the café. "I don't want to ruin that by reminding him of how last night ended. I'll visit him on Tuesday, as usual, and I'll apologize then."

"Well," her hand landed on my shoulder. "You know Riley better. If you think that's the appropriate way to handle this, so be it."

Her hand fell and she puffed.