The Humans-Chapter 4

Alex was immediately given a shot when she got to the car. She felt woozy and fell asleep instantly.

When she woke up, she was in the car trunk again. But the car wasn't moving. She heard the muffled voices of Bob and Joey, and winced at the bright sunlight that poured in as the trunk opened. They were now in a forest.

"Get her out and into the cage." Bob instructed. He stood next to the person Alex wanted to see least of all.

Will.

Alex felt tears pour down her cheeks, "Please! Not another cage! I'm begging you!" she cried.

"Fine. You'd better behave, WIlder, or the cage it shall be."

Alex nodded eagerly and felt herself, once again, being lifted out of the car. Bob closed the trunk behind her. Him, Joey, and Ruth led the way, while Will followed a few meters behind, carrying Alex bridal style.

"I still can't believe it's you." Will muttered down to Alex.

"I still can't believe you let him die." Alex snapped.

"I didn't know they were going to kill your friend."

"He was my boyfriend," Alex corrected, "and you didn't exactly jump to the rescue after he was shot."

"What was I supposed to do, Alex? I haven't seen you in 10 years. I thought you disappeared off the face of the earth."

"Really? So that's why you didn't return my phone calls?"

"I was mad, Ally."

"Don't call me that."

"Whatever. I just can't believe you're a murderer. A vampire."

"A murderer? I've never killed a person in my life."

"Sure. That's believable."

"I haven't! If you don't believe me, it makes no difference." Alex said as she chipped at the red paint on her fingernails.

"What happened to you? You used to be fun and happy all the time."

"I was never happy, Will."

"A happy emo, anyway. What happened?" Will asked.

"Where should I begin? Maybe I should start with a question myself Have you ever picked up a newspaper? I'm in it quite a bit."

"Yes. I heard about the stranded part."

"I see. Well, did you hear about how my little brother died? Or the that my father is alive?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"My stupid life."

"Care to explain?"

"Stories come after trust does. You should know I never open myself up to people I don't trust."

"So, I have to live with those facts until you trust me again?" Will asked.

"I wouldn't hold your breath."

Alex heard a lock being clicked open and she looked up to see what was going on. There was a large fence around a secluded area of the forest. A small cottage stood in the center, and Alex knew it was a big space because she couldn't see the other side of the fence. Pumpkins lined the bottom of it.

Bob unlocked the door to the area and Will passed the three humans with Alex in his arms. He put her down and untied the ropes before running back to the door. Alex charged to the door with him, but it slammed shut and she smacked into it.

Bob laughed, "There is no chance of escape in this facility. The pumpkins will keep you from going under the fence, and the radar will keep you from going over it. Plus, there will be guards at ever corner. The fence itself is drenched in pumpkin juice, if you didn't already guess."

"I got that, thanks." Alex spat sarcastically as she rubbed her sore wrists.

"Have a nice night!"

The four figures disappeared into the forest and Alex felt more alone then she had in a long time.

$$$

Tiger watched as the curtains lifted, revealing her little sister in a glass box.

She opened her mouth to scream her name, but Derek beat her to the chase. Tiger, Derek, Sean, and Shay pushed through the crowd, slowly edging closer to the unluckiest of their group.

Tiger heard a sizzling sound and saw the man pressing Alex's hand onto glass box. It was obviously covered in pumpkin juice, and those burns wouldn't go away for awhile.

 "She's a vampire. Dangerous creatures that are the cause of most deaths in the forest these days." The older man said as he held her hand to the glass. Alex screamed in pain.

Out of the corner of her eye, Tiger saw Derek push the crowd roughly aside as he charged through.

"ALEX!" he screamed as he jumped onto the stage. Tiger watched in horror as one of the men on the sides lifted a gun up and shot. A loud bang echoed off the walls, and Derek fell limp on the stage.

The man dropped Alex's hand and snapped the glass door shut before explaining to the crowd that Derek was a werewolf.

"DEREK!!!" Alex screamed through tears of anger.

"YOU KILLED HIM!!! I'M NOT A MONSTER, YOU ARE!!!" Alex screamed.

Shay just began to cry on Tiger's shoulder, while Tiger stared at the scene in shock. She couldn't believe this was happening.

Why did her sister always have the rottenest luck?

"Shh... It's okay." Tiger said soothingly to Shay, "Alex can bring him back."

Shay sniffed, "No. Derek is with his father now. She shouldn't take him away from that. He died trying to protect who he loved. I can't think of a better way to go."