The Island

Alex

THE ISLAND

When she woke up, Alex looked out into the waves. She didn’t really remember what had happened the day before but she knew she was in trouble. All of a sudden, a man stood up in the water a few meters from shore. She recognized the man as the pilot from the plane, and immediately remembered the catastrophe that occurred yesterday.

“I’M ALRIGHT!!!” The man screamed to an astonished Alex.

Just before he could take a single step, a shark grabbed him by the foot and dragged him under the surface of the water.

“What kind of sick place is this?!” Alex cried as the water around where the pilot once stood turned red.

$$$

Sean walked through the forest looking for his younger sister. Taylor said he wanted to stay on the beach to make a sandcastle so Sean was there alone. He knew his strange sister sleepwalks and is VERY impatient so he expected her not to be with them in the morning. He had 2 solutions. A) She was sleepwalking, therefore, could be anywhere or B) She woke up this morning and he and Taylor weren’t waking up so she went to go find some food. Sean was following his gut and concluding that his sister was starving.

The trees around Sean looked like they belonged in one of the fairy tales his father used to tell him when he was younger. Perfect palm trees lined the beach with huge rocks close behind them.

Sean climbed a huge mountain with ease and looked over the island. It was about 5 miles long, 2 miles wide, and in the shape of a 4 leaf clover. There were caves in each mini island except 1, which had a volcano.  The beach went around the entire perimeter of the island and the rainforest was connecting each mini island.

He looked out to the waves and saw no sign of land close by besides this little deserted isle. Then he spotted Alex on the beach with a perfect campfire.

“I guess I was wrong once again.” Sean muttered.

He walked down the mountain and onto the beach where he’d seen his sister.

Alex, meanwhile, was cooking a fresh lobster she had gotten out of the water. She was so excited by her newly acknowledged mad cooking skills that she didn’t see Sean coming up behind her.

“Hey Alex.” he said.

Alex was so alarmed by Sean’s arrival that she dropped the lobster into the fire and burned it to a crisp.

“Hey! I was working really hard on that!” she whined.

“You were sleepwalking again. Taylor and I are on the other side of the island.” Sean explained.

“Good. A girl needs her privacy.”

Before Sean could respond, Taylor came out of the trees with a giant pineapple in his hand.

“Where did you find that?” Sean asked.

“In the woods. Hey, have you guys seen this place? It’s split up into 5 islands! Do you know what that means?”

Alex and Sean stared blankly at the little boy.

“I GET MY OWN ROOM!!!!” Taylor screamed as he pranced around the beach happily.

Sean turned back to Alex, “We need some food, and I actually think your a pretty good cook. If we find the food, can you cook it?”

“Sure. More work for you guys.”

Sean rolled his eyes and dragged Taylor back into the rainforest.

Alex laughed when they were in the forest and STILL hadn’t figured out her little loophole.

She decided to check out the “rooms” Taylor was talking about and take her pick before it was gone. She put her hands in the pockets of her hoodie and found something that could save her life.

Her cell phone.

She turned it on and it still worked after being waterlogged. She dialed 911 but before she could press “talk” it made a little beeping sound. It had a dead battery.

“WHY?!!!” Alex screamed.

She threw it on the ground but then picked it up and put it in her pocket.

The entire walking trip turned from curiosity to desperation as Alex started crying in defeat. Was everything in her life connected to a horror movie she liked to watch? Being a werewolf, becoming a castaway, having a crazy, life-threatening mother?! Why couldn’t she just be a normal kid? Alex had never been to high school, never had a group of best friends that she can trust to keep her biggest secrets, not even a high school boyfriend! She was missing out on being a teen because of a stupid curse!

Alex remembered the first time she had heard about the curse. She was 6 years old. Her dad was telling her a bedtime story.                         

“Once upon a time, in a land not too long ago, there was a young boy who was different from his classmates. He was your age, when something bad happened. The young boy was walking home from school one day, when he started to feel sick, as if he had a fever. Just before he went to grab his cell phone to call his mom, he turned around and saw a tail, growing out the backside of his jeans. He started screaming but then his hands grew. They grew so much that claws came out. Fur grew out everywhere on his body until he became....a MONSTER!!! The boy ran all the way home. When his mother saw him, she screamed and told him to never come back again!”      

Only a few months later did Alex find out that the young boy was her dad, and that his fate was hers.

The day had gone by quickly because it was already about 4:00.

Alex turned around to see Sean running to catch up to her.

“Hey you totally ditched us!” he cried.

Then he looked at her face and saw how worried she looked.

“We’re going to be fine. Taylor and I got some food and we also found a small waterfall on the east side of the island. We are half wolf Alex. We’ll be fine.” Sean said

“Ya but that’s the problem. I don’t want to be a werewolf. I just want to have a normal family with two brothers that I always pick on but I love anyway and a mom and dad who care about me and live together! I want to go to High School, have a normal best friend, and a regular human boyfriend who loves me! I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL!!!!” Alex burst into tears.

“Have you been thinking about Dad again?” Sean asked.

She nodded and Sean put his arms around his sister. She and dad had always been close, but he was hunted down by police officers 6 years ago. Sean had only been 12, Taylor was only 6 months old, but Alex got the worst of it. Going from Daddy’s little princess to nothing really hurt her. That’s why she is how she is today. Only Sean knew she still had a softer side. Him and Alex were pretty close.

“He didn’t want this either.” Alex said.

“None of us do.” Sean replied.