Wake Me Up When the Sun Shines

I stood practically falling over the chair. 'What is this? A practical joke?!' I growled.

'Who is he?' He asked innocently.

'You remember that guy I was talking about on the plane?'

Realisation dawned on Xander.

'You left...' Lucas frowned.

'You followed me?' I shook, I couldn't grasp what was happening in front of me right now.

'No, I didn't follow you I work here when I'm not abroad.' Crash, all thoughts that he had chosen to try and sweep me off my feet fell, I felt nothing better than those smashed plates on the floor.

A girl came rushing over, the same girl that had made me leave the hotel in the first place. 'Is everything alright?' She asked Lucas all too sweetly.

Lucas looked me in the eyes and nodded. The girl don't look convinced but left us to it anyway.

'She your girlfriend?' I asked being snarky.

'No, is he your boyfriend?' Lucas knelt down and scrapped the big bits of plate onto his hand.

At the same time that I answered 'No' Xander stood up and answered 'Yes', Lucas showed no sign of emotion and turned away. I wanted to reassure him, tell him I had missed him, but my dignity had already been crushed once. How could he claim he and this girl aren't in some sort of relationship? It was obvious the way she looked at him.

'Alright, well... I'll go get you a new meal.' Lucas sighed pretending the big scene hadn't just happened.

'I can't take this!' I suddenly burst, I ripped the cutlery off the table and let it clatter to the floor. It fell slowly in my eyes the knife clashing with the spoon on its way down. Xander looked scared, Lucas was gob smacked.

I ran out of the bar heart tearing my chest apart. I walked halfway into the road to grab a taxi drivers attention, the driver honked, what was I doing? This wasn't Hawaii...

The doors of the bar smacked open loudly brick against metal, Xander and Lucas flew out at each others necks. Blood dribbling down Xanders pure white shirt, Lucas' fist blistered. Xander threw a fist against Lucas' face, the crack from the blow was audible, Lucas was stunned yet retaliated with knee to Xanders stomach.

Xander picked up a tyre rim, which had been abandoned by the side of the road, lifted it over his head ready to attack. Ready to intervene I ran towards them. It distracted Xander for long enough that Lucas was able to lift his shin and slam it into somewhere where it really hurt.

I jumped between them, Xander fell to the ground clutching his crotch whilst Lucas threatened him with a daring stare.

'If you ever touch her!' Lucas growled.

'Already have, in and out, in and --'

'You won't live to see another day!'  Lucas screamed and leant over me clawing at Xanders throat.

'Stop it! This is ridiculous!' I coughed suddenly dazed.

'Come back to me! Zofia?' Lucas begged.

'I comforted you!' Xander choked.

'It was always you Lucas! You must have known since the second you asked me if there was anything more?' I smiled.

Xander skittered off defeated with one limp leg giving up and leaving behind his pride.

'Zofia, I'm here for you. I'm so so sorry.' Lucas' voice softened, he wrapped an arm around my stomach then held my head to his chest.

'I love you too Lucas.' I wheezed.

'It's okay.' I could feel his smile pressing into my head. All too suddenly he let me go and kneeled before me.

'Are you okay?' What had Xander done to him?

'Zofia, I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you.' He put his hand into his pocket then came out with a ring, gold with crescent shaped diamonds scattered around it. It was beautiful, he was beautiful. 'Will you marry me?'

I blinked and nearly screamed, but strange thoughts flooded to my head. Maybe he wanted me to be his sex mistress. He was going to grow tired of me, he would say he had work when really he was having an affair whilst I worked like an animal looking after our children. I wouldn't look the same after having children. He wouldn't want me. We don't need to have kids, who wants kids?! When I grow saggy and old, he'll grow old one billion times more gracefully than me.

I had to think humanely. I was a human, it was okay to be paranoid. If we were going to spend eternity loving each other I had to learn how to trust. Sure the honeymoon phase wouldn't last but we would learn to love each other in a different less passionate way. Would we cope?

'Zofia?'

Blink.

Breathe.

Blink blink.

Hold breath.

Breathe.

Where did the ring come from though? How did he know we were going to meet? Who was the girl?

I woke up with a white thin blanket over my shoulders. A machine pumping beside my head, a blue curtain around the bed and something stuck in my arm. Why was I in a hospital?

No one was beside my bed waiting for me to wake. I suddenly felt as if I was the only person left on the entire planet. The lights were on dimly but there was barely a noise to be heard.

'Hello?' I wheezed.

I gave up immediately, no one would hear my cries, my eyelids grew heavy, my arm numb...

I woke up to a cold wet thing being pressed against my head, I squealed feebly and opened my eyes. A nurse stood above my smiling pitifully at me placing a thermometer around my face.

'Hey there sweetheart, how are you feeling?' The nurse asked docilely.

'Tired.' I groaned. The room was filled with light but the blue curtain was still drawn around my bed.

'Sleep should ease the pain.'

'What pain? Where is Lucas?' I mumbled tears bursting from my eyes.

'Your accident. Who's Lucas?'

'Accident? Lucas is my--my--' I looked down carefully at my left hand, no ring... Not fiancé then. Had I fainted before saying yes?

'The car? This damage may be more serious than we initially thought.' She looked forlorn and scared.

'What?!'

'The doctor said he's like to take a urine sample to test for internal bleeding. Is that okay?' She talked to me like a child, a young innocent child.

'What?'

'I know its hard to understand we'll get this sorted out.' She gestured for me to take her hand. 'Come on, I'll help you to the toilet, you've been asleep for two days you must be busting, just watch the IV.' Slowly she helped me up out of the bed and into the wheelchair.

It took time, she was extremely strong for such a little old woman, my body felt like a baseball team had attacked me all over with their bats. But once the sample was done and my bladder painfully emptied I felt a whole lot more at ease. Nothing was broken, just some bruises...

The bed felt as though the mattress was made out of fists, although I imagine my back was probably the cause of that problem.

I really needed something familiar. Had no one come to see me? Had my family not been informed? What about Lucas, he had to have seen it happen.

'Would you like something to eat?' The nurse asked slowly.

'No, but could you ring someone to come see me?' I hoped desperately.

'...I don't think the young gentleman left his contact details. But I'm sure you'll have a visitor tomorrow.' Lucas? Surely he was the gentleman.

'When can I go home?'

'We need to ensure you're stable before that's a sensible idea.