Chapter 22

I shuffled around, only to be awoken by soft snoring, a beeping noise, and the sun. I groaned as I sat up in the bed, hoping to be my own, but it was a hospital bed.

I was confused but events from yesterday flashed in my mind. 

I'm dead, oh my gosh, I'm dead!

Chill the fuck out, you're not dead. See, Mark's right there, he's not crying or anything and your heart monitor hasn't flatlined. 

Oh, I guess it hasn't.

I ended up laughing, causing Mark to wake up. His hair was a mess and he was in the same clothes as yesterday. 

"Jesus Christ, don't scare me like that," he said quietly.

"Sorry, Markimoo. Just thought of something funny."

I watched as he stood up, stretching in the process, and sat on the edge of my bed. He pulled me into a hug, but it was a very gentle one.

"So, what happened?" I asked while looking up at him. "The injuries, I mean."

"Just some blood loss and you only needed some stitches. The doctor said that you're a very lucky girl. Mom said that she'll be here soon. She and Thomas were very worried about you."

"Oh, please, I'm fine. It was my fault anyway, I should've listened to you when you told me to get out."

He smiled at me and let out a chuckle, "We all need to be rebellious, Queen of the Woods."

It was my turn to laugh now, hearing a knock on my door, I stopped and Mark went to go get it.

"Ah, Miss Fischbach, there you are," a nurse said while coming into the room. He was carrying a tray with a lid over it, only assuming that it's breakfast. "I've brought you some breakfast. French toast and orange juice."

I grinned at the nurse and thanked him, "Would you like anything else?" 

"Can you bring my dad something?"

"Jess, no, it's fine, I don't need anything."

"Bring him something," I mouthed at the nurse as he laughed and went out to get another tray.

"Enjoy your breakfast, Markiplier," the nurse smiled, "You too, Miss Fischbach," and then left. 

"Look at you, you're famous!" I said while smacking his shoulder.

He awkwardly chuckled and sat the tray to the side, not bothering to touch it. I frowned at him, wanting him to eat.

~

"Oh, granddaughter," Mark's mom sang as she came into the room, holding a box of what seemed to be candy. 

"Is she going on about the whole 'grandma' thing?" I whispered to Mark, who was still sitting next to me, and he nodded.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me, placing the box of sweets on the stand next to me.

"I'm feeling just fine," I smiled at her, "Thank you for the candy."

"You're welcome, dear." She smiled sweetly while sitting in the chair Mark was sitting in earlier. "Thomas couldn't make it, but he said that to wish you a speedy recovery."

"I believe she's healing just fine. She woke up laughing at something and she was arguing over how I say room."

"You did it again! It's room, not rum!" I yelled

"It's an Ohio thing!" He yelled back, making Momiplier laugh.

"No, it ain't! Bet you forgot that I was from Ohio, just further down south!"

He shut up then, but only by another knock on the door. "Come in!"

A woman appeared, wearing a white coat, which was the doctor. 

"I just came in here for a check-up. How are you feeling today?"

"Amazing, just amazing," I said in a dream-like state, causing her to laugh while she scribbled it down on a notepad.

"That's great to hear! Any pains?"

"No, ma'am. I'm all good."

"Well, we'll keep you in here for one more day just to be safe, but after that, you're free to go home."

Mark's mom looked at me and got all excited, I'm guessing having the feeling of her granddaughter back home made her feel happy. And I've noticed. I've noticed the way she would get excited when Mark mentioned me over the phone or whenever I would talk to her. It was adorable really.

"That'll be all, thank you, Miss Fischbach, enjoy your day," she said while waving goodbye and gently closing the door behind her.

"I really like that people are calling me Miss Fischbach, but yet again," I fell quiet. I didn't really like it. I was no means a Fischbach. I don't belong to this generous family. They've all done so much for me, but what have I done for them except for giving them anxiety.

"You're crying," Mark stated while scooting closer to you. 

"I guess I am," I silently laughed while wiping my tears off of my face. "I'm sorry, this doesn't feel right. I'm not a Fischbach. I don't belong to your family."

"Jessica," Mark's mom whispered, "You do belong in this family. You have every right to be with us."

"But why don't I feel like that I belong here? It feels like I'm an outsider."

"Mom, could you please step out for a second?" Mark asked quietly and you got scared. He never was quiet unless he was extremely disappointed.

You've fucked up big time!

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Mark's mom gave me a sad look before she left. I felt so shitty after that, but it wasn't like I was lying. I don't feel like I belong with them. An amazing mother to two boys, one a successful webcomic creator, and the other is a famous YouTuber who is a huge inspiration to every single subscriber he has. What have I done? Nothing. Besides fuck shit up.

"You're not alright, are you?" Mark asked in the same tone he had.

"Would you like the truth or the sugar-coated answer?" I asked jokingly.

"The truth, Jessica. I want the truth," he said sternly. Oh, he's really disappointed in me now.

"No, I'm not. I've been thinking about the day you've adopted me. You don't deserve me, your entire family doesn't deserve me. You and Thomas are famous, your mom is an absolute sweetheart, and here I am. I've done nothing in my life that compares to what you've done. And the calling me Miss Fischbach. I'm not Miss Fischbach, there's no way in hell I deserve to be related to you."

I never do realize when I cry, maybe because I'm too focused on what I'm thinking about, or maybe because I just don't care when I cry.

"But you've done so much. You've made me happier. You've made all of us happier. I spent a long time living alone. I couldn't get a girlfriend no matter how hard I tried, the apartment won't allow pets, so I decided to go with the next best thing. You. Come on, you've done so much but you're just stubborn to even realize."

There was no point in arguing with him. That was the worst thing about him, you can rant and argue and he would always fight back.

"I-I guess. I'm going to get some sleep. Maybe go down to the food court and get some food, alright?"

"Yeah, ok," he said while stroking my hair and planting a kiss on my forehead.