Chapter 7

I don't know why, but I felt like something was off. Something was extremely off, not with me, not with Wade, but with Mark. 

I tossed and turned in bed while the feeling began to rise again. Mark was not acting like Mark.

I got out of bed and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water, but I saw Mark sitting at the table, with his head in his hands.

I pulled out the chair next to him and sat down, "Hey, you ok?"

The only answer I got was a sniffle. This is bad.

"Mark, hey, what's wrong?" I asked again.

"Nothing, go back to bed," he said while finally looking at me. His eyes were red and puffy, not to mention that his cheeks were stained with tear tracks.

"Well, clearly it is something because you're crying."

He sighed and put his head down on the table, "You're not able to understand."

"Like everything else, I'm too young to understand, right? Little Jess is too young and innocent to understand," I said while mocking Mark's voice.

"No, it's not that."

"Well if it's not, then why aren't you telling me?"

"You should go back to bed, Jess, it's no big deal. I'm fine, really."

I sighed and stood up, "Fine, if you say so."

I turned to look at him before I headed up the stairs, "Hey, if you need anything, just knock on my door."

He didn't say anything as I made my way back to my room. 

He's not fine, Jess.

Well, duh, but he wanted to be left alone.

Go back.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Maybe, I should.

I turned around and went back downstairs. Mark was still at the table, but this time he was sobbing. 

"You're not ok, and it's bad for you not telling someone," I said while resting my hands on his back. "So, can you please tell me what is wrong?"

"I-I," he stuttered, but he didn't say anything else.

"I won't tell Wade anything, promise."

"It's been getting out of control, this whole werewolf thing. I'm only supposed to turn once a month, I've turned three times this month, it's not normal, and I'm scared. Scared what I'll do because sometimes I just black out. Like that one night, I didn't know it was you so that's why I attacked."

"But I'm not hurt, am I?"

"That's what I'm afraid of. I'm going to hurt you or even worse, turn you and I don't want this fucking burden to be put on you," he said while finally looking up at me.

"What's been happening that's making you think these things?" I asked while sitting down in the same chair I sat down in.

"This," he said while showing his teeth. His canines were grown and were large. "The full moon is long gone! I-I don't know what's wrong or what's going to happen to me or to you, and I'm terrified."

"We'll get through this, alright? Hurt me all you want but I am Jessica Fischbach, your adoptive daughter, nothing can hurt me."

"Everything can hurt you, even me."

I slammed my hand down on the table, "Dammit, Mark, you're not going to hurt me! Even if you do, I'll live. It's not like you'll do it on purpose or anything."

"B-but-"

"No, buts, Mark, now if I were you, I would go to bed because if you aren't aware, it's one in the morning and we all need to sleep."

He didn't say anything, but he just rested his head on the table again.

I sighed and grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the chair. "Bed. Now."

"Fine, fine, I'll go," he said with a sniffle.

"Thank you, now get some sleep, you have a job to do. You don't want to disappoint your fans."

"Yeah, I don't want to disappoint you," he said while cracking a smile, his canines showing.

"Sure, whatever, now go," I said while pushing him up the stairs.

{Chapter 7 is complete}