Chapter 1 - All Alone

• Dedicated to Tamara Yovita

Please do give me some comments and feedback :)

Edited by LittleRedFox

 ______________________________________________________________________

Chapter One

All Alone

"For the last time for goodness sake, Lindsay. I. Am. Not. Going. Why don't you just try asking Nate instead?" snapped Melanie, who had just finished her English project when her best friend Lindsay called, asking her to accompany her in attending a blind date. It wasn't actually necessary for Lindsay to go on a blind date, with her being so beautiful. She had long, wavy blonde hair, a slender figure, and gorgeous facial features that Melanie would kill to have. Every boy in her school was practically lining up to go out with her, including Nathaniel Carmichael, Melanie's other best friend.

"Hello?" Lindsay retorted sarcastically. "What's the point of going to a blind date if I ask a boy to accompany me?"

Melanie pinched the bridge of her nose. It's not that she didn't want to do a favor for her friend. It was just that her relationships with boys never lasted long. "Look, Izzy, I really want to go with you, I do. But I have some other business."

"Fine. Whatever."

And then Lindsay hung up the phone. It was always like this whenever Melanie had refused to help Lindsay with something. She would get mad, but only for a few hours, and then, the next day, she would go back to her usual self.

Melanie was an athlete; all of her family was. They were tennis players. Her dad had taught and trained her since she was young. Even for her, it was strange to her how she ever could have befriended Lindsay, who hated any form of sports.

"Is that Izzy? What does she want?" asked Nate from beside her. He had come to her house to do their project, since he was her partner in English.

"She wants me to accompany her to some crazy date," Melanie grumbled, turning to look at him.

"Oh," Nate said. An annoyed expression was clearly written on his face. He was jealous; Melanie knew that. It frustrated her, how a guy she had liked all her life didn't look at her as a girl. Sure, people would call her hot; she had straight, waist length, dark brown hair, deep green eyes, and a defined body. But in Nate's eyes, Lindsay would always be more beautiful than her. For him, Melanie would always be his best friend. And it hurt her.

"Why? Jealous?" Melanie teased even though she already knew the answer, playful smile on her lips.

Nate looked at her and ran a hand through his hair. "I am. You know I am, Mel."

The smile slowly faded from her face. It hurt how Nate had admitted it blatantly. "I'm sorry, Nate. I completely forgot about that," she lied. Melanie never wanted to look weak in front of others. Not in front of her family, and moreover, not in front of her friends.

"Why won't she look at me? I mean, am I not good enough for her?" Nate asked, frustrated. Melanie was sure Lindsay knew about his feelings; it was completely obvious. Nate flirted with her, acted like a jealous boyfriend when someone made a move on her. So why wouldn't Lindsay go for him? He was popular, and everybody liked him.

"I don't know." Melanie flashed him a sad smile. "Hey, by the way, I want to show you something"

"What?"

She took his hand and pulled him toward the stairs. "It's in my room. Come on."

~

"How on earth did you get this?" Nate exclaimed in surprise as he held the tennis ball with Maria Sharapova's signature on it. Nate was a tennis player like Melanie, and he adored Maria Sharapova. "Not only is she good, she's hot too," as Nate had told her once.