Chapter Fourteen - Prying ears (Edited)

As the sun set on Kaiserslauntern, Inge silently followed Werner up a secluded footpath which seemed to go on forever. She wasn't sure where she was going, but she did know one thing, that she trusted him. She didn't know why, or how, I mean, he could literally do anything to her in a flick of a moment, but she knew he wouldn't. All she felt around him was peace, no fear like she thought she would in the presence of a Nazi Official.

When they reached the top of the path, Werner motioned for her to sit beside him on a well-worn bench.

"Now that we are away from the commotion of the city and... prying ears...I would like to thank you for accompanying myself and my sister today, it meant a lot to her that you came" Inge smiled

"Don't thank me, your sister is a sweet girl with a kind heart. It's hard to say no to her" Werner laughed in response.

"Yes, I have to agree. She has a certain way of always... getting what she wants I suppose. I wish I possessed that same talent"

"And, what is it you would want if you had that power Werner?" Inge laughed "Would you like become a king, have all the money in the world?"

"'Haha. No, no nothing like that"

"Then what?" She questioned

"I suppose. I suppose I would like to be free. I would like to start again, live a newer much... simpler life. Move to a different country, meet new people, form new....relationships"

"So, the man who has it all, doesn't want it all?"

"I don't pretend to not know how fortunate I am Inge, don't mistake my previous comment for ignorance. I just.... I never wanted this life, I was born into it. Ever since my birth I have been a pawn in a bigger chess game that I don't control, i suppose i'd like to be my own man. Make my own decisions"

Inge nodded in agreement.

"I think we all want to be free of something, to be loved for who and what we are. Our differences are what make us unique, not what make us separate and foreign"

For a moment Inge lost herself, she sucked in her breath in anticipation for his response. Why had she said that? To a NAZI officer of all people, who's sole belief was based on prejudice and fear of anyone who was born different to the Aryan ideals they promoted.

Was this it? Was this the moment she had been caught out? A nice German woman, probably like Maria wouldn't dare make such comments because she knew they were dangerous. The walls have ears her Mamo had said, how could she have been so stupid? Oh god, oh god, oh god. What could she do? Nothing, the seed had been sewn. All she could do was wait.

Werner turned to her, there was something different about his expression. Breathe, Inge. Breathe.

Inge cringed as he spoke. "I couldn't agree more"

What? Did she hear that right?

"Yo-you do?" She asked timidly.

Werner nodded, "do you see that rubble? Over there in the far distance?" Inge shakily got up from the bench, and walked closer to the view point.

"Yes. Yes I see it" she could feel Werner's presence behind her, the heat from proximity of his body radiated onto her and a hint of pink flushed to her cheeks.

"There once stood a magnificent building on that exact spot. It was a Synagogue actually, and you could see the exterior from any angle of the town... it was an architectural wonder in fact"

The mention of such a symbolic part of her past life triggered a panic within Inge, who tried to compose her increasingly panicked emotions

"It was burnt down in 1938. Not by accident of course, the papers reported it as a communist terrorist attack but I suppose we all know what the elephant in the room really is. To think It was just four years ago when this madness began... it feels as if it has been a lifetime" Werner sighed

Inge was transfixed by him, in a dreamlike state almost. How could someone in his position be speaking so plainly in opposition of his own people, his own country?

"Anyway" he said knocking her out of her daydream

"My Father used to bring me here when I was a boy, I'd come here all the time after he died. I suppose I could feel his presence with me, at times or such chaos sometimes you need an escape. Wouldn't you agree?" His eyes met hers, sparkling as the suns reflection highlighted the golden specks in his eyes.

"Of course. Urm, at-at home there was this park, close to where I lived, just a stones through away actually and my father would take me there everyday after school. He would always save just a little bit of crust from the sandwiches my Mother had made him for lunch, and he would give them to me everyday, whatever the weather, to feed the ducks. My mother never knew of course, 'it's our escape' he would say, from the real world" Inge smiled down at the floor, and memories of her father came rushing back to her.

"If you don't mind me asking, where is your father now?"

"He's... he's gone." She took a deep breath "he's gone" Inge gently stroked the necklace her mamo had given her before her departure. 'I will find a way to get back to your Mamo, I will end this cruelty for you. For Papa' she swore to herself in that moment.

"I'm so sorry Inge, I had no idea. Is that why you came to Kaiserlauntern?" She wiped a tear from her cheek, trying to regain composure.

"In a way I suppose. I'd never actually met my Aunt, although we had been in correspondence for years and one day she asked me to come and stay with her. Following my uncle's death I think she was lonely and she hadn't seen my Father in years, so I think I was the closest thing she had to a bit of familiarity. Even if we hadn't met'

"Well, if it's any consolation I can say with certainty that your aunt is a wonderful woman Inge. She has done wonders for this town, and she is a beloved and cherished part of this community. I am sure you will soon be considered the same, that is.. if you plan to stay?"

Inge laughed, "how lovely of you to say, thank you Werner. Yes, I have... business to attend to, I shan't leave until I have completed my mission, I'm a very stubborn woman you know"

"Oh, i'd expect nothing less from you Inge" their eyes met, and Inge's heart stopped.

How could someone she barely knew make her feel this way, it only took a single look for her body to feel like it was on fire. Werner was dangerous... just not in the way she ever imagined he could be.

"It is getting late, I feel most regrettably that I must get you back to your Aunts before she worries. You have been delightful company today Inge, I hope... I hope I shall see you again soon" He said offering an arm to escort her back to the car "Of course, I appreciate both yours and your sisters company today, I've had a wonderful day" and with that they remained in the silent until they had reached her Aunts House.

"Thank you for showing me your escape spot Werner, I know it can't have been easy and the fact you shared it with me... well I just- uh, that is Urm. thank you' she said fumbling over her words.

Werner smiled "thank you for joining me" he said getting back into the car, "back home please, Pieter" Inge could hear him say to his chauffeur as she made her way back to the house.

"Oh and Inge?" She jumped, and turned around at the call of her name

"Maybe now that I've shown you mine, maybe one day you'll show me yours" he said before winking as a smirk tugged at the side of his lips.

And with that his was gone.