Chapter Eight - The Encounter (Edited)

The weeks flew by, and no information of importance to the resistance passed through Inge's hands. It was clear that is she wanted to be of assistance, she would have to worm her way deeper into the spider's web... but how? 

Winter soon turned to Spring, and the morning past just like every other until Inge heard screaming in a nearby office when returning from her lunch break. As she crept closer to the room the voices became clearer and it was evident that the argument was coming from Herr Deichmann's office. 

"I am so sorry Herr Deichmann I really am, but I promise you it was an accident" a woman's voice sobbed, no louder than a mouse "Fraulein Keller, your apologies mean nothing to me, YOU have ruined a document of significant importance with your.. your coffee stains and it is YOU who shall have to pay the comeuppance for such incompetence. I never wanted to employ you anyway, it was your god-damned mother who forced you on me!" "But Sir I-" Inge took Bruno's pause as the perfect opportunity to save this girl from any more humiliation. "Ah Bruno, Just the man I've been looking for. The ribbon in my typewriter is jammed and I cannot see to type the letters  F or U. How peculiar, wouldn't  you say Frauline-?" the young woman stared at Inge in disbelief, her audacity was something she had never seen before.. at least not to a man of Deichmann's stature "Oh um, Keller. My name is Helga Keller". Bruno angrily huffed and said "Fraulein Erckhardt, if you could just hold on a minute I was just talking to Helga about-" "No" Inge interrupted "Excuse me?" Bruno was astonished "No, you were not talking, you were I believe yelling. So much so you even scared the local duck population away from the Rhine it was so loud Bruno" Helga stifled a laugh, earning a fierce frown from Bruno. 'This.... this woman has ruined a letter of the utmost important Fraulein Erckhardt. What if... Well, what if the Fuhrer himself was here to see what a mess she had made of his administration? Hm, what then?" Inge sighed "I do not believe, and correct me if I am mistaken, that the Furher is here my dear Bruno. And upon such a fortuitous revelation I believe that I could be of service to you and rewrite the damaged letter and have it drawn up for you by this evening. Would that be of any help?" Bruno unfolded his arms in defeat and signed "Fine. But no later than this evening. I mean it Fraulein Erckhardt" Inge winked in retaliation, which caused Bruno's cheeks to flush with colour as he quickly removed himself from the room. 

A moment or two of silence after Herr Deichman's childish paddy, the door opened of the office opened once more to reveal a young man dressed in an immaculate green uniform which traced every inch of his muscular figure to perfection. Numerous medals adorned his chest, where a swastika took centre stage, signifying to Inge that this was a man of importance. His trousers matched the military jacket but they instead puffed out to add an element of the dramatic to the uniform- as if it wasn't imposing enough.  Although the man had not yet uttered a word, he commanded the attention of the entire room until he finally asked "what was the meaning of such noise?" his voice soft, and somehow familiar. Helga's eyes once again filled with water as she sobbed "Herr Deichmann was cross with me, but I promise you Bruder it's not as severe as he says. And... and Frauline Erckhardt here offered to help me rewrite it so not incovience has been caused. Oh, if it wasn't for her I am sure he would have fired me Werner!"  Werner nodded at his sister and placed his hand affectionately onto her shoulder "I haven't yet thanked you for your help Frauline, I am most grateful" Inge smiled gently at her in recognition. 

Helga was a sweet, but naive soul who hadn't the slightest clue as to the extent of Nazi brutality. She merely worked at the Fruchthalle because her mother had instructed her to "do something with her life, like her Brother" and so she did. Helga followed Werner to the Fruchthalle where Herr Deichmann was conveniently looking for a secretary, and due to Werner's high ranking, he had no choice but to accept her despite her lack of experience. One thing was for sure, Helga worshipped her brother one could see that from the adoring looks she gave him whenever he was around. Werner was the only father figure in Helga's life as their father had been killed in the Great War - The war to end all wars, how ironic. 

After hearing of his sister's saviour, Werner turned his attention to Inge who, in a moment of panic had to look away from the piercing gaze of his ocean blue eyes. She recognised the kindness in his eyes, but how could that be ? there was no way their paths could have crossed before. A Nazi and Jew- it was almost laughable. "Helga, do you suppose you might introduce me to your new acquaintance?" Helga looked bashfully looked at the floor, letting her hair dangle obtrusively onto her face to avoid eye contact with Inge, who took her silence as a sign to introduce herself "Its a pleasure to meet you Sir. I am Inge Erchkardt, I recently moved here to live with my Aunt in Kuckuckschlang. In fact, I believe I have already had the pleasure of meeting your mother the other night at dinner" Helga looked up, her expression giving off a sense of embarrassment at the mention of her mother "Fraulein Erckhardt, allow to introduce my brother, Werner", Inge nodded politely at Helga before her eyes once again met Werner's whose gaze never seemed to leave hers "Nice to meet you Frauline, now if you will excuse us I believe my sister and I must be heading home. I hope you will accept my invitation to dinner tomorrow night, as thanks for helping Helga out today?" "Oh" Inge was taken aback, "Of course, thank you. See you then" 

She had no idea at that moment that by accepting Werner's invitation that her whole life would begin a new course. But one thing she was certain of, she had to figure out why she recognised Werner Keller. It was dangerous to be in the dark at times like this, and it was even more dangerous for her to start an acquaintanceship with a Nazi and yet without a second thought she accepted his offer. Why? Only time my dear reader will tell us that.