Ch•14- Spiderling

Start from the beginning

"The September Foundation" I hinted, scratching the bridge of my nose. Dad and I were trying to help him along during this awkward time.

"Right" Peter nodded, looking at the wall confusingly.

"Remember you applied?" Dad asked, extending his hand towards Peter.

"Yea..." He hesitated cautiously.

"Right, you were approved, so now we're in business" Dad gave him a hard look before bringing a cup of coffee up to his lips. I crossed my leg over my other leg and cleared my throat.

"You didn't tell me anything. What's up with that?" May asked her Nephew "Are you keeping secrets from me?"

"Well..." He finally seemed to get the gist of this act "I just know how much you love surprises so I thought I would just let you know... anyway what did I apply for?" He squinted his dark brown eyes at him.

"That's what we're here to talk about" Dad pointed to me "This is Jessi, she's my daughter and she also works with me on this Grant and helps the approved applicants in starting their projects" I smiled, giving a small wave.

"Right... hi Jessi... yeah..." he already knows me, and I know him "We go to... school together..."

"Oh, I'm well aware" Dad nodded, sliding his dark eyes over to me for a moment "It's so hard for me to believe that she is someones Aunt" Dad suddenly turned back to May who began to blush bright red. I once again rolled my eyes at his childish behavior.

"Well" she chuckled, looking down to the floor, unable to met his eyes "we come in all shapes and sizes, you know"

"Wait, let me stop you right there" Peter held up his hands "Does this grant got money involved or...?'

"Yea. It's pretty well funded. Look who you're talking to" Dad looked back at May, giving her puppy eyes "Can my Daughter and I have five minutes with him?" He gestured to me swiftly. I sat up in my seat, prepared to stand up.

"Sure" She smiled "Why don't you go talk in his room, right in there" May pointed to a skinny door down the hallway of the apartment. Peter led us to his room, not wasting a moment.

He pushed open his wooden door, walking in right after Dad. I slipped in and shut the door behind me, turning the lock. This must seem really strange for him. A 40ish year old man and a 16 year old coming in to his bedroom out of nowhere.

Dad locked his arms behind his back and began to stroll around the room. He looked down at all the old technology that was scattered around Peters desk. Computers, wires, phones, a type writer?

I looked around the walls of his room, blue paint which was starting to peel, Star Wars posters, science fair certificates and trophies, obviously a nerd... but yet a Superhero.

"Oh what do we have here?" Dad inspected his cluttered desk full of electronics "Retro tech. Thrift store? Salvation Army?"

"Uh the garbage actually-" Peter shifted uncomfortably where he stood. He kept glancing back over to me who was still planted at the door. Was there something on my face? Lettuce in my teeth?