Chapter 4 -- How about mercy?

Start from the beginning

Something wasn't right.

"But no one knows it was me, right?"

"No one. They're calling you Rapid Glare." Jonas walks up to us. I smile at the given name. I knew I'd get one.

"That's awesome! I wonder who came up with it." I jump up to high five Jonas and turn to high five Ash too.

"Your brother did, actually. He has a whole blog dedicated to you now. And, uh, may I mention he wonders if you'll have a sidekick on the way?" Jonas rocks back and forth on his feet, waiting for my answer.

I wrap my arms tight around his neck.

"Soon! We need to get to class. Ash, keep working on that design!" I grab his wrist, about to walk away.

"It's done! And Jonas made me design one for him, too," She rolls her eyes but smiles.

"I'll get the fabric tonight." She states, but I catch her arm before she walks off.

"No way. Two suits? That's too much money. Let me pay you."

She laughs, "No objections here. Just let me see how much it'll be. These suits are gonna look spectacular!" She squeals with delight. Suddenly my day can't get any better.

She skips off to her art class as Jonas and I walk to A.P biology. He throws his arm across my shoulders, bringing me close enough so he can whisper.

"I'll pay my fair share, too. Let us little guys do something." I grin as we walk into class.

"So where did Mickey go? I didn't see him after lunch." I ask Jonas.

A voice from behind us pipes up. "Wow, Della," I turn to face Sophia Brown. Just the sight of her makes me want to flip a table.

"You get the hottest guy in school to date you and then lose him? Some girlfriend you are." She rolls her eyes and I give her a deadly expression. I could easily run her up the flag pole by her designer jeans.

Jonas taps my arm, removing me from the situation. Sometimes I forget he can read my mind even though he talks about it all the time. He never seems to use it. That's probably what he wants us to think.

Once we sit down, we wait for boring, everyday notes to be placed on the Smart board. I take my usual seat next to Jonas in the front of the room.

I check my phone to see that Mickey never replied to me being sick. Surely he cared, but why didn't he look for me at least, or reply with concern? He was always there to worry about me.

"Della, stop worrying about Mickey. I think he went to the nurse to see if you were there." Jonas continues to hit down notes.

I look up from my notes. "How often do you read my thoughts?" I ask in astonishment.

His cheeks redden, "Hardly ever."

Liar, I think to myself. I look at him to see him twitch. He was reading my mind again, but can't admit to it. I oddly like this game.

"Somehow you don't even have to open your mouth to make my head hurt." Jonas says teasingly.

"Ditto." I reply with a chuckle, referring to one too many headaches he's purposely given me for no reason.

Mickey soon texts me in the middle of class. I sneak my phone under the table and turn off the brightness to read it.

I hope you're feeling better darling.

I bite my lip, keeping my smile from being too big.

I'm okay. Thank you. I send a kiss emoji beside the words. Okay, maybe I was still in a cupcake phase with Mickey.

Good, because I want to take you bowling tonight

Bowling? I mentally groan. Why bowling?

Because it's cute seeing you frustrated

I bite my lip once again. How about tomorrow night? I'm still not feeling all that great

Did I just lie to my boyfriend whom I am crazy about to hang out with my friends and talk about Red Raven? What am I doing to myself?

Oh I'm sorry Del I'll come over and take care of you if you want

All of a sudden my head is throbbing and I find it hard to see anything as flashing lights cloud my vision. I look over to Jonas who is twirling his pencil around between his fingers. He writes something down for me to see as my headache slowly eases.

You're not a liar, Del. If you say you're sick, you better be sick. Thank me after you've had quality time with your boyfriend.

I look at him in awe as my headache makes me sick to my stomach.

Point taken, Jonas. I won't lie anymore.

A/N
I'm trying to add a song for each chapter. If you have any recommendations for songs, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading!
Always, Sunny