XII.

"At the Stroke of Midnight."

[ a/n ]:

First, of all, I'd like to thank you all for 2, 000 views - it just makes me so happy to see how far this book has gone :D

Also, my exams are due next week, and I only have time to squeeze in this chapter, so the next update is probably going to be late. Sorry about that, guys.

Lots of love from me, though :D

- Acnologia_Slayer

*

Darkness had draped the Rainsworth's mansion, casting a spell on its inhabitants. A blanket of darkness covered the vast expanse of the sky, which was once drenched in wonderful light - and another blanket, much smaller and made of soft cloth was thrown over the people lucky enough to have fallen asleep.

The mansion was noiseless compared to when everybody was up and about, scampering around the many maze-like corridors, going about their business; but now everything was still or resting, awaiting the sudden burst of energy that would come at daybreak.

There was something soothing about wandering around when everyone else preferred staying in their beds. Knowing you were up when the world was at rest put a thrill in your bones. The night was ephemeral, so you burned every moment into your memory.

You scrutinized the flickering flames that burned a few feet in front of you, caged by a intricate brick fireplace, with cream-colored patterns carved onto its surface, forming swirls and shapes. There was a crackle, and a few embers spilled onto the hearth, accompanied by the sounds of footsteps - but you ignored the latter.

"(F/N)," an alarmed voice called.

Your eyes lingered on the fire for a second longer, before you focused on Break, taking in his features, which stood out in the dim lighting of the flame. He took slow steps towards your spot on the floor; he moved cautiously, as if he was about to cross unfamiliar territory.

"What are you still doing this late at night?" you asked.

"Midnight snack," he responded before continuing with his leisurely walking.

That was when you noticed the saucer he balanced on his palm, it wobbled every few seconds, which explained his slowed movements. On the saucer was a miniature, two-layer chocolate cake topped with a strawberry, half of it disappearing under the frosting.

 Break settled down beside you, leaving a gap between your bodies. He hankered down, resting the saucer on his lap, gently, before he pulled out a fork and cut into his idea of a midnight snack.

There was another crackle from the fire, and more embers spilled onto the hearth, replacing the old ones that died out. A few seconds later, crumbs from Break's snack spilled on his pant leg, and he made a face.

"So what are you doing up?" he asked, before shoving a large chunk of chocolate cake into his mouth.

"I don't need sleep," you replied, "I'm different from you people. I just nod off sometimes because it's really hard to find something entertaining this late at night."

He nodded, showing he was paying attention to you. Within a few minutes, he had already devoured the cake, and was happily setting the saucer aside.

You raised an eyebrow at his direction, watching as he splayed his limbs out with a grunt of satisfaction. He made himself comfortable on the plush floor, heaving a deep sigh. You tilted your head downwards, surprised at how at-home he looked lying on the floor.

"Y'know, it's so toasty by the fire," he chirped, "especially after that snack. Makes me just wanna fall asleep right here."

You hummed. You continued gazing at him, and, in less than ten minutes, Break stayed true to his previous statement and fell asleep, on the floor - the same gap separating the two of you.

*

Break's breathing evened out, and you were left even lonelier than before, staring at the fire, burning every moment into your mind. The occasional crackling, the rogue embers, the way light danced on the walls, creating a beautiful show. 

You sighed, and got up. From one of the many pieces of furniture in the large room, you picked a white, fluffy pillow and carried it back to your spot by the fireplace.

You sat down, cradling Break's head in your hands. Your fingers slipped through his hair as you slowly lifted up, careful not to wake, or hurt him. You slipped the pillow in the now vacant space and lowered Break's head on the soft material.

He grunted, his face scrunching up for a second before he went back to his calm breathing, you found yourself unable to suppress an eyeroll.

Slowly, you lied down on the floor, taking up the opposite end of the pillow. Slowly, you shut your eyes, and let the occasional pop lull you to sleep.

*

In a separate room, an old grandfather clock stood proudly by the wall. The pendulum swung from left to right as the seconds ticked by. Finally, the two sleek, masterfully-carved, black hands of the clock aligned at the characters: 'XII'.

In the short moment of equilibrium, the clock had suddenly sprung to life as the gears slid against each other creating a deep, resounding harmony. The noised traveled and bounced across the walls of the mansion, scouring the building for anyone who was willing to listen.

Then, it stumbled across two figures sleeping by the charred wood that would glow orange every now and then. Luckily, it woke up one of the two. 

Break sat up, surprised to find a pillow he didn't remember grabbing. He yawned, listening to the symphony while it lasted. He smoothed down a clump of hair that jutted upwards, just as the clock's song came to a close, and the wooden structure returned to its ( less glorious ) state of ticking and tocking.

Without any hesitation, he plopped down on the pillow and, a few minutes later, he had fallen asleep once again.