XIV.

"Saccharine."

*

"Useless," Cheshire grumbled, his grip on your throat slackening. You gulped in air, sputtering and coughing in the process. Cheshire's nose wrinkled in disgust, scoffing.

"You didn't even put up that much of a fight," he grumbled to himself, dropping you to the ground like a used toy.

A host of darkness gathered around him, as the Chain prepared to vanish to another place and deal with a gang of pesky intruders, before his ears twitched, and the shadows dissipated.

"Oh, I almost forgot," he mused, he looked at you in cruel amusement, and your throat tightened, even when there were no claws wrapped constricting it.

"I'm supposed to kill you now." 

Cheshire stalked towards you, his claws making a terrible grating noise as it forcefully ran along the surface of the floor, beaming in satisfaction at your face that scrunched up from the noise.

And suddenly, from behind the Chain, there was the flutter of a coat, and the sound of a sword being unsheathed- and all those noises were much more welcome. And then there were footsteps, slow and calculating and wary, and Cheshire's own footsteps ceased.

The cat spun around, quickly deflecting a jab from a sword with his paws, hissing at his attacker. Break looked at the Chain in the eye, his expression relaxed and composed, his arms barely straining against the force of Cheshire's resistance.

"You. . .!" Cheshire shrieked. He swung a giant paw at Break, and the latter easily jumped out of the way, his sword held out diagonally in front of him, ready to deflect any more incoming attacks.

Watching the fight ensue from the sidelines, you profusely admired how Break faced a ruthlessly powerful Chain like Cheshire with such a casual gait, as if he was taking a stroll in the park, with a steady look in his eyes, as if he's experienced fighting (and defeating) foes much more worthy of boasting over than the aggravated Chain lunging at him.

Whereas, you thrashed around like a cornered animal, which probably amused Cheshire to no end.

Each parry and thrust Break was able to perform effortlessly, as if it was already burned into his mind, and whatever sly trick Cheshire managed to pull, Break could counter after a moment or two of thinking. You had finally come to understand the unspoken air of dignity Break carried, even when he was at his silliest, and how everyone spoke of his abilities with admiration and a sense of ambition. Had he been serious, Break could have annihilated Marionette much quicker than you had.

And, begrudgingly, you had come to respect him ; but alongside this sudden and unexpected respect for Break, came a feeling of drowsiness, and your eyes became heavy, and nothing seemed sweeter than shutting your eyes, preferably for more than a few seconds.

Your body felt like lead, and your skin had been blemished with several cuts inflicted by Cheshire, and despite all of your efforts in resistance, the sleep that came was inevitable, and it impacted you so harshly, the moment you made the mistake of shutting your eyes, you passed out.

*

Come Cheshire's defeat, his dimension collapsed like a tower of building blocks whose base was demolished by a careless toddler. Chunks of the ground pulled apart into large islands, and there were tears in the "sky" where the dark magic of the Abyss peeked out.

Cheshire had completely vanished after Mad Hatter's display of power, and by Sharon's request, and at Break's urging, Eques had transported Oz and Alice back to the manor, leaving Break with Gilbert, and a still unconscious (F/N) riding on one of the floating chunks of whatever hasn't already been disintegrated.

The dimension's self-destruction wasn't slowing down at all. And Break frantically scanned the broken land, his chest heavy with worry and the strain from summoning Mad Hatter, feeling out of breath, and he could feel his hands trembling.

"Damn it," he cursed, coughing dryly after, as if his body resented the use of his voice, "where's (F/N)?" He uttered your name with a croak, and after ordering Gilbert to summon Raven's power, hacking some more after, spitting blood on the ground, he raced off to find you.

He finally found you on a size of land large enough to hold a modest carriage, circled by shards of broken glass and a stuffed bunny toy the color of a mocha cake, a flavor of cake Break didn't really fancy, with black buttons for eyes and cylinder-shaped limbs.

As Break suspected, you were still very much unconscious. Breathing shallow breaths, your fingers twitching every now and then. What concerned Break the most was the blood that stained your clothes, and the cuts that stained your arms and face.

Carefully, Break walked towards you, careful to avoid the larger shards of glass, but allowing his boots the crush the smaller ones into even tinier pieces. He kicked the bunny aside, and it rolled off the island, and disappeared into the Abyss.

Carefully, Break scooped you up, one arm under the small of your back, and another below your knees, nestling your head against his chest, and Break followed the sound of a giant bird screeching, shattering more shards of glass along the way, finding it cute how you grunted in your sleep.

*

When you came to, you were no longer in Cheshire's dimension. And after scrutinizing your new surroundings, you realized it wasn't the Rainsworth's mansion either.

"You're awake," a voice- Break's voice said, with a tone of surprise, "that was quick."

Your body still hurt from the injuries inflicted by Cheshire, and the sofa you lied on was uncomfortably stiff, like it was newly bought, or barely used. You sat up, resting your back against the arm.

"Break, where are we?"

"Pandora," he answered immediately, "while you were out, I defeated Cheshire, and his dimension started falling apart. Eques transported Oz and Alice back to the real world, hopefully safely, and Gilbert used Raven's power to bring the three of us back."

"Want a lollipop?" Break suggested.

You looked at him as if a pair of horns sprouted out from his hair, and he gave you a deadpanned look in return.

"Remember when you and Oscar first met, and when he asked you what I was up to- quite rude by the way, I'm hurt," Break dramatically dabbed at his eyes, "I would never pull some sort of trick on a dear friend- but anyway, I remember you telling him we might be going out for cake or something of the sort."

"And?"

"Just take it," he demanded, huffing.

You smiled at his straightforwardness, taking the lollipop and popping it into your mouth, glad to be able to enjoy something sweet in contrast to the very bitter turn of events that took place in Cheshire's dimension.