if you want to call me baby

part 1

*    *    *    *

"What do you mean maybe?" Lauren leaned back against her heels on the bed as the girl she loved stared at her with an equally confused expression. After years of doubt and fear she'd finally gathered enough nerve to finally come out and ask and all she got was a maybe?

And there she sat in nothing but her underwear and loose fitted black t-shirt, the Sublime sun logo plastered on the front, and a small box in her hand holding a ring she had spent a great deal of time saving up for.

"Lauren, you know I love you but...I'm just not sure."

"Camila, if you love me then what's there to be sure of?"

The girl sat across from her in similar attire, not bothering to fully dress after the raven haired girl arrived at her window about an hour prior, attacking her lips with her own and tearing all of her clothes off.

"You know things are complicated. I-" Camila's oncoming explanation and apology were abruptly halted by a voice echoing from down the stairs outside her bedroom door.

"Camila? Are you upstairs?" a male voice called out in the almost empty house.

Her parents were out but surely one of the maids must have let the boy in. Camila cursed under her breath but Lauren just rolled her eyes, more than annoyed by the interruption.

She never liked the boy anyway, for good reason; he had what she wanted. And that was the girl whose bed she was in, the girl she just spent the better portion of the last hour fucking, the girl she'd been in love with since she was fifteen.

"Shit," she whispered before getting up to find her discarded shorts she was wearing before Lauren came over. "Yeah I'm here just give me a minute!" she shouted back to him before tugging her clothing back on and yanking the other girl up by her arm. "You can't be in here."

"Yeah, yeah, I know the drill. Get in the closet. You know, I should just chill out here for once, it'd be a hell of a lot funnier when Austin walks in."

Even though Camila knew that would be a terrible idea she still found herself trying to contain her laughter. She didn't need to explain to her boyfriend why she was giggling all by herself alone in her room.

"Shut up, I don't want him to hear you," she said, smiling at the slightly taller girl before she walked into the oversized closet.

"Fine but you owe me...again." She winked and shut the door just as the main door was knocked on from the outside.

"Camila? May I come in?" he asked politely and Camila sighed as she opened the door for the boy. He greeted her with a warm smile and a quick kiss on her lips. "Hello."

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

She didn't mind seeing him—granted she was his girlfriend—but she had cancelled their dinner plans for a reason. She just wanted to spend time with the girl that was currently being stowed away in her closet.

"I wanted to speak to you about something tonight. Actually, I've been trying to for a while now but you keep cancelling our plans. And I don't really know how to go about this and I'm afraid I'm never going to get the chance to...so I'm just going to say it."

"Um...okay..." she trailed off, unsure of what the boy looked so nervous about.

She sat at the foot of her bed and noticed a pair of ripped black skinny jeans on the floor a few feet behind the boy and bit her lip. She prayed he wouldn't notice it as well.