I looked up. "What is it?"

"Can you tell me where to exit?"

I nodded and picked up the crumpled map from the floor of the car, peering at it and attempting to locate our bearings. As soon as I found where we were, it didn't take long to deduct where we needed to go. I promptly told Joe which exit to take, and then attempted yet another excuse for small talk.

"So... Mind explaining why you voluntarily got up super early on a Sunday to help a girl you barely know?"

Joe rolled his eyes, not looking away from the road. "Astrid, we've been over this. I was in this situation."

"Yes, but, why did you offer when I could have just taken a train?"

The boy looked down at me, and I wanted to scream at him to keep his eyes on the busy highway so we didn't die. "That was an option?"

"Haha," I muttered sarcastically, letting the matter drop. We continued our travels in silence, the next hour or so consumed by only the overwhelming music that Joe continued to refuse to quiet.

When the large, white airport came into view, I actually sighed in relief. We pulled into one of the remaining parking spots before rushing inside, clutching ourselves to guard against the cold. I wished I had packed a jacket, but I knew it would be considerably warmer in Georgia. The immediate blast of warm air when we entered the threshold was extremely welcome.

The bustling crowd shuffled around us as I looked up at Joe, confused.

"Don't you have to go home now?" I asked, eyebrows furrowing.

Joe just shrugged, his expression one of calm disinterest. "I want to make sure you board alright."

"Okay..." I said, rubbing my elbow uncomfortably. We started to walk again in silence, only the sounds of yelling and farewells to fill our ears. I looked up at Joe, but he continued to look stubbornly ahead, not acknowledging me at all.

Going through security was simple enough, though Joe got many suspicious looks due to his long, unruly hair and his tattoo-riddled body. He ignored the looks, though it was obvious he noticed. He didn't seem uncomfortable, though, which I suppose made sense. If he didn't want to be looked at, he wouldn't have gotten the tattoos and piercings in the first place.

We were just passing the restrooms when I saw it.

My father.

I knew that he worked for the airline company I was flying with, but how was I supposed to know he would be at the actual airport when I was going to be there?

Suddenly, the conversation we had been having a few nights before at dinner came rushing back to me. Despite having tuned out the majority of the voices, I could recall my father saying something about having business on Sunday.

Today.

"Oh no," I muttered, backing up and hiding behind one of the many potted plants dotted around the premises. Joe stood where we had just been, looking at me quizzically. I motioned towards myself frantically, indicating that he needed to follow. The confused look didn't leave his face as he made his way towards me where I stood hunched underneath a rather wide leaf.

"Care to explain?" he whispered, at least seeming to pick up my sense of urgency and panic.

"See that man over there?"

Joe looked up and followed my eyes, his own landing on a man in a suit, talking with two others dressed similarly. He nodded, curiosity still lacing his features.

"That's my dad," I whispered, grimacing.

Joe's eyes widened slightly, and he jerked around to take another look. He obviously understood my dilemma; I couldn't reveal that I was here, when I was supposed to be at a friend's house.

"I'm going to distract them," my companion announced, "and you will sneak by and go wait to board your flight. You can do that?"

"How incompetent do you think I am?" I muttered, but Joe had already moved.

I heard him talking to my father as I snuck by, and I was shocked at how good he is at lying. If I didn't know him, I would have thought that his complaint of a brawl on a different level of the building was completely genuine.

I tried to walk casually, looking like an ordinary, impatient person ready to get on a plane. I was so close to being out of sight when I heard a familiar voice cut through the air.

"Astrid?"

I continued walking as if I hadn't heard my father, tugging on my short, white-blonde hair nervously. However, I soon realized that my efforts were fruitless.

I had brought the green backpack, the one covered in pins, that I brought everywhere. Not to unique, but very easily recognizable for someone who lives with me.

"Astrid." My dad sounded much more sure of himself.

I turned around slowly, a sheepish smile on my face. "Yes?" I asked innocently.

Joe stood behind my father, his scowl stating just how frustrated with the situation he was. I cringed bit, though I could tell his irritation wasn't directed at me. It was directed at himself, for not keeping my father's attention for long enough, for me getting caught. I wanted to yell to him, tell him it wasn't his fault. But I just stood in place, anxiously waiting for the bomb to drop.

"What are you doing here?" my dad asked, eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"Um, well, see--" I stammered, only to be cut off by Joe.

"Sir, she's saving a life."

My dad whipped around, looking at my friend with a cold glare. "Who are you, and what do you mean by that?"

Joe seemed happy to meet his frigid questions with his own frigid personality. "Well, sir, my name is Joe, and I'm a student at your daughter's school. As for what I mean, perhaps ask Astrid that," he said, turning towards me with a raised eyebrow, encouraging me to speak.

I cleared my throat. "Um, dad? You know how I have... Internet friends?" I heard his scoff. "Well, one of them, Nina, my best friend, she..." I trailed off, staring at my feet.

"She what?" my dad asked impatiently.

"She sent me a letter. She plans on killing herself in a few days. I'm trying to save her. The only way I can is to do it in person," I stumbled, rushing the words out before hesitantly meeting my father's eyes.

"You are in so much trouble for not telling us, let alone for how you probably acquired plane tickets..."

I flinched, looking down once again.

"But this is obviously important, so those conversations can wait. Right now, you've got a flight to board."

I could feel my eyes lighting up with joy as I looked up at my dad. "Really?" I whispered.

"Really."

"Excuse me for a moment," I said, rushing into the bathroom and pulling out my phone. I quickly pulled up my text messages and began to type.

I love you because you've always been able to help me out of sticky situations, whether you knew about them or not.

Without waiting for a response, I turned off my phone with a content sigh.