06

After the incident with Kenma, Daichi had retreated to his bedroom in a flurry of anger and tears. Two hours later and Suga couldn't stand leaving him alone to mope by himself. He had ignored the muffled sobbing and shattering of glass at first, but the guilt of not confronting him was eating him up inside. Of course he wanted to help his best friend, but he wasn't great at these kinds of things as his mind would go completely blank.

It took fifteen minutes of silent debating with his hands clasping his face to straighten himself out and build up the courage to go comfort the broken man in the other room.

His feet were moving on their own, words of solace coming together in his thoughts. On impulse, he knocked on the door looming in front of him, shifting on his heels nervously.

It felt as if his heart was going to pound out of his chest, but why? He was simply consoling someone, but the way his body was reacting, it seemed more like a confession.

With a shake of the head, he knocked again yet didn't get a response.

"Daichi, are you there?" Suga muttered, hands poised to knock on the door for the tenth time. He knew that rushing wasn't the brightest idea, but his patience had become slimmer throughout this last week.

"Go away, Suga!" A tired voice growled through the thin walls, even though Suga still had to press his ears to the door to hear the creaking of a worn bed frame.

"I just want to help you, okay? I know that it hurts, but it'll get better," All that overthinking and he only managed to say a few cliché words. Even he cringed at the horrible words that he had chosen to speak.

"I didn't ask for your shitty advice when I called you, okay? It's not helping so please stop," An immediate response came, causing Suga to jump slightly. He wrinkled his nose a bit in response, raking a hand through his silver hair frustratingly.

"I've been by your side for as long as I can remember, and you're slowly going to push me away too?" Suga uttered in disbelief, straightening up, waiting for the door to open and for his advice to be thanked.

"Maybe I am. Just leave me alone." He could hear the vemon lacing Daichi's voice, but naively chose to ignore it and pressed even more.

"Are you kidding me? I've spent hours here, barely even getting to sleep cause you can't move on! It's not my fault that Kuroo dumped you, Daichi! Maybe he is right, you really are pathetic sometimes!" He couldn't even hear the sharp words spilling out of his mouth, only the numb feeling of exasperation clouding his thoughts.

"What did you just say?" The door swung open almost immediately, revealing Daichi, eyes swollen and cheeks florid from the break down Suga had missed whilst debating with himself.

"No, no, no. I-I didn't mean it, Daichi. I swear I wasn't thinking straight, please-" His eyes burst open wide in sudden realization. Suga flinched, turning his head away to avoid the pained expression deepening on his friend's face.

"Get the fuck out of my apartment," By now Daichi was fuming, disgusted by the words that he had just heard. What a way to help him get over a relationship years in the making.

"D-Daichi I didn't mean it!" Suga banged his fist against the already dented door, desperation creeping into his voice as his lip quivered. He couldn't believe himself, where had those poisonous words come from? Had he really felt this way all along, even though he wanted to play the role as Daichi's savior?

"Well I mean it, Koushi. For the last damn time, leave me alone! Now!" Nothing stopped Suga from being forced out of the apartment despite his dubious utterings and clawing at the walls.

"Daichi, listen to me. Please!" One last attempt of redeeming himself, but all he deserved was a cold shoulder and he knew it.

A final shove through the door and it was slammed in his face, the sound echoing through the empty hallway.  

Suga was breaking down alongside Daichi who was weeping his heart out on the other side. Both figures slumped on opposing sides of the door, with its peeling paint, almost as ugly as the words that hung amidst the silence caving in on them both.

- ✦ -

;)))

-trish