Chapter 16

"So this is the plan—"

"Wait up, I don't think you heard me," Daniella interrupts. "I'm not going to play detective with you two, I have things to do."

"But we need you," I groan, giving her my best attempt at puppy dog eyes, which I know damn well don't work on her. She simply raises an eyebrow. "We need a car that won't make its presence known from miles away."

"Oh, so you don't need me, you need my car."

"Precisely," Soph butts in. "I mean, you don't need to come with us — you just need to let us drive it instead."

"Over my dead body."

"So, you're coming with us," I say, high-fiving Soph, I knew this would work.

"Where's the 'I'm not going and not letting you drive my car' option?"

"So, my dad has been coming home later than usual," I resume, ignoring Daniella's exasperated expression. "He says he's been working extra hard lately but he's a lazy ass, I doubt it."

"Don't you think he'd tell you if he's seeing someone?" Daniella asks, apparently giving up and just going with it. "You two are pretty close."

"Exactly, but I'm guessing he thinks I'd be mad that he's replacing mom in some way or another, he hasn't been with anyone since — that I know of. I've asked him multiple times if he wasn't thinking of dating someone but he just squiddadles himself out of the conversation, it's impossible."

"Or... he's seeing someone he isn't supposed to be seeing," Soph says, sounding a whole lot like a conspiracy theorist. "Like when you were seeing Dani here, you tried to hide it from him — hell, you even hid it from me."

"A married woman perhaps?" Daniella asks, joining Soph on her conspiracy. Who would have thought that adding some gossipy vibes into it was all it took to make her instantly interested.

"My dad would never date a married woman," I butt in. "I'm thinking sexy boss."

"Isn't his boss a man in his 60s?" Soph says gagging. "Maybe it's a man."

"I'm a lesbian, why would he hide it from me if that was the case?"

"Or, hear me out and keep an open mind, maybe he's just working over hours to either get a promotion or a vacation and you two are reading too much into it," Daniella sighs, slouching her back on the sofa.

"That's boring."

"Right, we don't know, that's why we are going to investigate," I say pointing to a random place on the map, pausing for a few seconds so I could locate anything on it. "Yeah... We won't need this."

"Called it," Daniella groaned from her couch cocoon, it seriously looks like she's being swallowed.

"He texted me earlier telling me he'd be working till late again today, so the plan, for now, is to go in there and see if he's still in. He parks his car in the building's garage so there's no way of knowing if he's still in there unless we ask or go down there. The excuse I'd give is that I was walking by and just wanted to say hi, it's something I just randomly do already so I'm pretty sure it won't come off as suspicious."

"And why do you need me for that?"

"Well, that's when we truly put our plan in action," Soph says with a smirk. "If he's in the office, we wait for him and follow him to see if he goes home or goes somewhere else."

"And if he isn't?"

"That's plan B," Soph grins triumphantly. "We start the search."

"This is ridiculous."