Chapter 19

"See? You just needed to give it some time," Daniella says, resting her butt on the hood of my car. "Or he knows that we followed him, that's also an option."

I groan, trying to fish out the car keys from my pocket, "Don't say that, you're getting me nervous."

"Are you sure you can drive home? I can take you," she says, playfully raising her eyebrows as I squint my eyes at her. "You said you are nervous, it can influence your driving."

"I'm fine," I say, standing in between her legs and pulling her into a hug. "Tell your mom that dinner was amazing," I whisper, planting a kiss on her lips. "I'll call you later to let you know of the tea."

"Alright," she chuckles, pulling me into another kiss before fully standing up and letting me go.

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to turn the car's headlights on — I should really have paid attention to Parker's explanation instead of letting my imagination wander off to all the naughty things Daniella and I did last night. But it's fine, it's like a treasure hunt.

I didn't think much of the message when I received it but now that I'm going home, I'm suddenly feeling very anxious, to the point that I took the longest route possible and drove as slowly as I could when there weren't any cars behind me. I'm not mentally ready to be scolded if he wants to discuss us following him, but I have a feeling it isn't about that.

I parked my car in the driveway next to his. Thinking about it, I never got to tell him that I got a new car, no wonder though, I barely see him now that he's secretly dating a random Christian lady from Dani's school or whatever.

"Dad?" I call as I close the front door.

"In the kitchen, challah," he calls back, he doesn't sound mad so it definitely isn't about the stalking.

"Hey," I say, standing at the door awkwardly watching him wash the dishes. "You said you wanted to talk."

"Ah yes, about that..." he dries his hand on a hand towel, looking at me with an equally awkward smile. "How do I even say it... it's a bit embarrassing," he sighs. "I didn't want to say it before it was official, but you do have the right to know, and I shouldn't have lied to you in the first place."

"Oh," is all I can say, I mean, what else is someone supposed to say? "What is it?"

"I finally got myself a girlfriend," he says as if it's obvious, it's not like I didn't know, I stalked him after all but wouldn't it be weird if I had guessed it correctly?

"I'm happy for you," I say genuinely, I really am but that doesn't mean I forgot that he lied. "When will I get to meet her?"

"Soon," he says quickly. "It's still all very new between us."

I nod my head waiting for him to share anything else about this new girlfriend of his but he simply gives me a pat on the head, wishing me a goodnight and leaving for his room. Maybe he doesn't know that she teaches at the same school as Daniella, even though I did tell him which one she went to, and it's not like there are many Catholic high schools in town — actually, I'm pretty sure this is the only one.

It'll definitely make things harder for me and Daniella. Not that I think she'd snitch when she finds out, she's dating my father after all, unless he messes up and she does it by revenge. Or maybe I'm looking way too much into the future, I haven't even met her yet — but I do wonder how accepting she'd be of a lesbian couple... I shouldn't be generalizing. just because she teaches at a Catholic school doesn't mean she's homophobic, or religious for that matter. Daniella is teaching there after all.

"He's acting weird, as if he's hiding something else," I groan, helping Soph pick up a huge box from the pickup truck, filled to the brim with flower ornaments. "And he didn't even notice that I bought a car... it was literally parked beside his!"