Chapter One - Nothing But A Nightmare

Danielle’s POV

“You’re worthless and nobody likes you.”
“You’re nothing but a little piece of shit that everybody wants to pick up and throw into the bin.” They crowded around me, swarming in. Then a fist punched me in the stomach, sending me falling to the ground. “Look at her. She’s pathetic.”
“I bet your mum gets drunk because she can’t cope with how pathetic you are!” Their fists hit me one by one, then their feet. It all happened too fast and then I blacked out…

I shot up, sweating and breathing fast. I looked over at the clock. It was 7:30 in the morning. I rubbed my eyes from the sunlight streaming in through the gap in the curtains. It was Monday. Another start to another dreadful week at college and I hated every second of it. Since my best friend had moved to a different place to study photography I had been left to myself. Well, not entirely to myself. I have other friends but I can’t talk to them about things that I would normally speak with her about. For example, when me and her speak about All Time Low we go crazy because we love them in the same way. My other friends don’t really like All Time Low to the extent that they would sit and talk about them for an hour with me. I got out of bed and made my way downstairs to pour some cereal into a bowl, and took my normal seat in the front room. I sat in silence. I never really watched television in the mornings unless one of my favourite bands or musicians was performing on a certain show. “The bathroom is free now.” My dad wandered in, slouching down on the sofa in his dressing gown. I nodded slowly, finishing the last pieces of my cereal. “How’s mum?”
“Hungover as you’d expect.” I rolled my eyes, putting the spoon down in my bowl. “Were you okay last night after what she shouted at you?” I looked up at my dad. “She said I was worthless. She was drunk. I know she didn’t mean it but of course it hurt me.”

“Just let me know if it gets too much for you okay? I don’t want you going down the route she’s in right now. I’ve seen what it’s done to her.” I nodded again, throwing a small smile towards him and then walked out and headed towards the bathroom. Closing the door behind me, I slid down onto the floor, pushing the palms of my hands into my face. I must have sat there for a good 10 minutes just crying. I had to get it all out before I went to college.

Walking to college was easy in the mornings because I always stuck my earphones in and listened to All Time Low on shuffle. They helped me ignore all of the little kids shouting stupid things at me and all of the looks people would give me as I arrived at the gates. I hated walking in there in the mornings. I felt as if everybody was judging me. It was much easier when my best friend used to come here with me. We used to walk to college together and then walk home with each other and I’d feel safe with her, but now it was just me and I didn’t cope that well with it at times. I always got to college just in time for the bell to ring so I didn’t have to go and sit in the common room with my so-called ‘friends’. I doubt any of them actually did like me. I bet they talk about me when I’m not with them. I swiped in at the main entrance and made my way to my tutor room. I was always first to get there unless my friends Amber and Katie were already there waiting. Today though, I got there first and then everybody came along and stood against the wall waiting for Miss Ward to arrive. Sometimes she was late but sometimes she was on time. She would make the excuse of “Sorry I was in a meeting” if she was late. I shouldn’t complain about her. Miss Ward was one of the very few teachers that I could talk to about most things that were going on at home and at college. “Sorry I’m late everyone, I was in a meeting.” I rolled my eyes and greeted her with a smile and she smiled back. I went to walk in but everybody else barged past me so I had to wait, before waddling in last. I took my seat and sat in silence as I always did. For some reason Katie and Amber weren’t here today so I couldn’t make small talk. Miss Ward came and sat next to me, placing a piece of paper down on the table. “How’s things at home Danielle?” I sighed, tapping my fingers on the table. “Shit.” I muttered under my breath. I saw almost everybody in the room looking at me. “I feel as if everyone in here is judging me right now.”
“Even if they are that shouldn’t bother you. Ignore it.” I looked towards the piece of paper. “What’s that?”
“Ah thanks for reminding me. It’s a pen pal project and we’ve got some musicians, celebrities and just general people that are willing to write back and forth to each person in here.”
“Great.”