Chapter 22 : My Last Dance.

"I feel something so wrong, doing the right thing."
- One Republic, Counting Stars.

She was a small thing curled up into herself. Half hidden under the rumpled sheets on her bed. The only light coming from the small lamp placed on the nightstand beside the bed.

Her eyes were closed, face buried in the pillow, her hands holding on tightly to a black piece of cloth.

It was Sebastian's coat.

He stood there. Stunned. Breathless.

He didn't know why he found himself here. How he found himself here. Out of all the places he could go, he just came here.

And he wanted to hate how it felt like home.

He closed his eyes. This was wrong. He was doing wrong. To himself and to her.

His feet thought otherwise.

He took a step forward, as quietly as possible. And then another, until he was just some feet away from the bed.

But then she slowly opened her eyes. Eyes that were bloodshot throughout. Eyes that had lost the golden fire that used to burn in them, and all that remained now were ashes. Remnants. It looked like she hadn't opened her eyes for ages.

But as she realised what was happening, her eyes slowly widened. She slowly got up and scrambled back, away from him. Onto the other corner of the bed, the coat still clutched to her chest.-

-Why is he here. Why is he here. Why is he here. This was all her mind could think. She felt dizzy, her vision blurring. For a minute, she considered the possibility of her hallucinating. But then he came forward, enough that he leaned forward, over the bed and took the coat out of her hands.

She was too stunned to react. So she just stared at him, as he took it in his hands. Looked at it, a small smile forming on his lips.

She would do anything to see that smile. It could save lives.

"Why are you here?" She croaked out. Sebastian didn't move, kept staring at his coat in his hands.

She bit down on her lip and closed her eyes.

"Why," She said slowly, quietly, "are you here, Sebastian?"

He then looked up, putting the coat lightly on the side of the bed. Straightened up, his blue eyes boring into her. His eyes seemed to move up her, then down. Everywhere.

She cursed how so little things could leave her breathless.

"I want my last dance." He said quietly.

All Adela could do was gawk.

"What did you just say?" She asked, shaking her head.

"I said." He said, even more quietly now, "That I am here to have my last dance."

Adela grabbed the pillow from her side and with all the force she had left in herself, chucked it at him. He dodged it like it was nothing and frowned.