19. Nyctophilia

"Help me anyone!" I yelled in annoyance, curled up on a wooden bench while trembling

"Help me anyone!" I yelled in annoyance, curled up on a wooden bench while trembling. Rubbing my injured leg and wincing in pain at every slight contact.

It was pointless. Why? This place was in between thick rich forests where no humans would response whatsoever. Squirrels did turn up for help but let's face the reality, I'm not a snow white so they kinda fled away rather than helping me.

Another tall bush twitched and I rolled eyes, knowing that it would be another one of those deers who'd come and give me the oh-you're-screwed-bye look and hop away.

But rather than what I had expected, I saw saw Ash emerge out of the bushes, looking at me in evident agony. I scowled at his sight. How could this day get any worse?

He neared me, his grin widening with amusement as I mumbled incoherent words under my breath.

"Why are you here?" I crossed my arms.

"I think you need help." He pointed at my feet.

"Not from you." I frowned, "Why do you have to emerge out of bushes in a desolate forest when I've hurt my right leg?"

"Why don't you let me help you?" He suggested.

"I'm not stopping you, its just not necessary." I rolled my eyes.

He came near as he kneeled down and examined my leg. I bit my lip at the realization of the history repeating itself again. The same forest, a little chillier, a bruised leg, him, me.

"Look, you need to go. I don't need your help, its useless. The wound is greater this time." I spoke as he frowned, obviously not understanding since he didn't remember when he had last helped me when we were little.

"Look, I'm sorry again. Stop keeping the grudge." He smiled.

"Why do you want to convince me so - eagerly?" I sighed, "You can't win everyone, Ash. The world doesn't revolve around you."

"Is it because you've never had someone mad at you before? Because you're so loved? Because you've never seen anyone resist you before? Well, things change." I spoke.

"That's ridiculous. Everyone has haters. Okay, not haters - dislikers. I do too. I have many people who aren't contended with me - I just don't want it to be you." He shrugged.

"Why? What's so special about me?" I tilted my head as he lent me a hand to help me stand but I looked away, refusing the offer.

"I don't know -" he frowned and thought for a while, "I just see a little girl with a straw-hat every time you're not around. Its weird to see images but - I kinda see a girl who needs my help and I cant help but think that its you - I don't know. Weird, right?"

My eyes widened as I looked into his warm brown eyes .

"Weird." I mumbled, ignoring the fantasy.

"You're cold." He frowned, "At heart and also because of the weather. And you know what cold people need? Warm hugs!"

And with that, he abruptly pulled me up from the bench and wrapped his arms around me. The warmth of Sandalwood lingering on my senses as I breathed it in. I didn't feel electricity flow through me this time, I felt waves of warmth now. My heart wanting to stay here for much longer than eternity. It felt like home and I'd been homesick for quite while now. I loved this feeling and this person, both gradually destroying me.

It felt warm and cozy, especially after sitting in the cold for hours. The fur of his coat providing extra warmth and coziness and I dug my head into his chest and wrapped my arms around him, still shivering a little. He brushed his finger through my hair and then finally released the hug, leaving the cold wind to envelop me again.

"So I take that as a-" He scratched his head.

"Yes. We're friends again." I smiled, finally giving in, "But I still can't stand." I said, falling back on the bench.

"Your home is close by, I can give you a piggyback ride?" He suggested.

"No way!" I blushed insanely, "That's too embarrassing."

He frowned and looked at my horrifyingly blue leg and bare feet and then back at me. I guess there was no other way. I shrugged as I finally mounted on his back and he continued to walk.

"Shouldn't we - like, see a doctor? That wound looks pretty nasty." He spoke.

"Oh, don't worry about that - there's no hospital on a walking distance and I also have a special herb balm thingy at home. It heals wounds pretty quickly. I keep it because I hurt myself very often so, you know."

"Oh. Cool, I am very well aware of that." He giggled as he continued to walk.

Seeing things from such an altitude was quite a thrill. The horizon was painted in different shades of a pastel pallette and the sound of the forest was nothing less than music. Soon we reached my place and entered my house as Ash helped me get off, he then again pulled out the first aid kit and treated my wound with a herb balm as I directed and this wasn't new, I was clumsy and I would often hurt myself and he was there mostly. I doubt how he's not a doctor or a nurse yet.

After a little chat he waved me a farewell and walked towards the door before finally and quite stereotypically turning around.

"Hey, I also wanted a favor from you. Not about a breakup or anything." He chuckled. "You see, I'm taking French as an additional language and I'm kinda going downhill with it. And you clearly have French origins so you speak French fluently, Don't you?"

"Bien sûr que je peux. (Of course, I can)" I spoke nonchalantly.

"So I wanted someone to tutor me and I bet no one can help me as good as you can!" He beamed.

"I don't know if I can find time -" I argued.

"Oh, come on! Please?" He said with his puppy dog eyes.

I shook my head nonchalantly and sighed.

"Okay, class starts tomorrow afternoon. Four to Six would be fine. Don't be late." I beamed.

"Aye Aye Captain!" He playfully saluted and I smiled.

"See ya tomorrow then?" He waved as he finally walked out of the house and I closed the door from behind.

I didn't know why I had forgiven him but I guess that's what my heart wanted. And its okay to listen to your heart sometimes. I shrugged as I lit the fireplace and warmed myself up. Today was quite a day that was for sure.

 Today was quite a day that was for sure