13. Mélomanie

I saw all the luggage, the bags, her makeup box, her clothes, her sunglasses, her office files and her passport, all as a chaos, scattered across the room

I saw all the luggage, the bags, her makeup box, her clothes, her sunglasses, her office files and her passport, all as a chaos, scattered across the room. She was busy with some documents, staring at the ten inches screen of her tablet, her spectacles adjusted right over her nose as she carefully scanned through the article.

"Where are you going, mom?" I asked in a soft tone.

"Oh- uh, A business trip." She said, without caring to look up at me.

Again? Its been only two weeks since she was back from the last one.

"That's - A lot of luggage." I frowned, "How many days?"

"Wh -Why is that necessary for you to know?"

"Just tell me." My worrisome expression grew,

"I don't know, A while. It can extend."

"You'd come back, right?" I gulped.

"I've left my credit card and a little cash in the locker, there's frozen pizza in the refrigerator and if there's any problem, you can go and see uncle Sycamore. I'm entrusting you with your own responsibility. I know you're a grown up now."

"Its a business trip, right?" I stuttered, unsure of continuing,

"Or is it because of Him?"

I woke up breathless, in the middle of the night, my head was heavy and my eyes watery

I woke up breathless, in the middle of the night, my head was heavy and my eyes watery. I grabbed a bottle of water from my nightstand and drank some water to normalize my breathing rate.

It was another one of those nightmares. Except, it was barely anything false. Every single word in my dream was a reality. Of a brutal past. Perhaps, the strongest word was 'Him'.

And he wasn't just any person. He was the one who broke my family. And he would be the reason behind if I die anytime soon. He was terror. He was pain that I hid beneath my pillow every night before sleep.