chapter 1 continued...

I knew it was not safe to be out alone. The birds that hunt from the skies at night might want a midnight snack. Or perhaps a racoon from the city would like an extra helping.

   "No," I told myself, "Once I find Aren I won't be alone."

If I found Aren.

    I stumbled into the clearing where the lantern was shining.

Suddenly I saw I small hunting circle. Reacting quickly, I darted back behind a tree. A large bear in a plaid overcoat sniffed the air, then said something quietly to the other hunters. They pointed their guns up at the top of the tree I was hidden behind. I looked up suspiciously. Poor Aren sat quivering in the tree branches, trying to hide herself  behind the leaves. The hunters had spotted her.

   A tiny squirell with pants and black suspenders aimed his gun. I expected a gunshot, when...

A hound dog put his paw over the gun barrel. Then, he barked some nonsense I couldn't hear. the other hunters nodded in agreement. They left the clearing.                                                                                                                                                                 ...

  The early morning sunlight crept over the edges of the trees. My head ached, and my back was stiff. I realized that I must have dozed off after the hunters left. Sitting up, I found myself in a bed of pine needles, far from the rest of the herd. I stood up.

   "Come to my aid!" I cried. My herd used these words to signal your distress.

"Where do you stand, friend?" a voice responde. It was Aren, calling back to me. I stumbled forward.