♥I Figure Life Is A Gift♥

She couldn't stop staring.

Jack Dawson.

Jack Dawson was like no other man she had ever met before. It had been an entire hour that she had known him, and not only had he stopped her from committing suicide, but he had yet to make a pass at her.

She didn't know whether to feel insulted or relieved, but she decided to go with the latter. Jack seemed to be content ignoring her, yet another thing that no one had ever done. His attention was towards the sketch book in front of him, furiously scribbling on the page, his nose scrunched up in concentration.

He was so freaking adorable.

She blinked, what was wrong with her? Why could she not explain the strong attraction that drew her towards this peculiar boy?

"So how come I haven't seen you around much, Jack?" She asked, trying to chat him up a bit.

He looked up at her with a surprised expression on his face, as though he had completely forgotten she was still here.

"You lot seem to stick to people of your own status." Jack noted, his eyes back on whatever he was sketching.

Rose was taken aback, "We do not!" She said indignantly, glaring at the oblivious boy.

"Oh really?" He said with a smirk gracing his face, "Name one poor person you know." He challenged her, his eyes sparkling mischievously.

The dingbat already knew he had won.

Rose grumbled something under her breath when her mind came up to a blank. How is it possible that she could have been so materialistic without even realising it?

"I'm sorry." She said softly, making him look up at her with an expression she couldn't decipher. 

"For what?" He asked, almost amused.

She glared at him, "Stop laughing at me when I'm trying to be nice."

His eyes narrowed, "Well you don't have to be nice because you pity me."

Her eyes widened at his accusation. What was with this boy?

She shook her head, "Believe me, the last thing I feel towards you is pity." She confessed, staring at her hands, "I suppose jealousy could be considered a more apt emotion." 

He looked at her as though she was completely bonkers. "You're jealous of me? You do still remember that you're the one rolling in money, right?"

She couldn't keep in the bitter laugh that escaped her mouth, "Take it all." She told him, "I'll be happy."

He looked at her like she was some puzzle he couldn't put together. "Is that why..." He started to ask softly, before he stopped and pressed his lips together. He didn't need to finish his sentence for her to know what he was saying.

Is that why you wanted to kill yourself?

"Partly." She admitted, gulping down the bile that had made it's way into her mouth, leaving a bitter taste behind.

He looked at her with the softest look on his face, and she felt her insides start to melt. How does his boy have such an effect on me? 

"You don't have to tell me." He told her, giving her a small smile.

She wanted to.

She shook her head, "My mom...we don't really get along. I guess I've never fit in with everyone else, and she's always made my decisions for me." She admitted, "I guess I just couldn't take it anymore."

He gazed at her, "What do you mean you never fit in?" He asked incredulously, "You're the most prim, proper lady I've seen."

"I hate it," She said bitterly. "I hate the parties and the jewellery, and especially the dresses." She glared down at the sky blue dress she currently had on.

When she looked back up at Jack, her eyes were shining with tears, "I feel like I was a mistake." She told him, "That I was swapped with a true blue blood who's out there having adventures and seeing the world." 

She gulped down the tears that had started to surface, and looked up to see Jack looking at her intensely, "You want to see the world?" He asked softly.

She shook her head as she used the side of her cardigan to wipe her eyes. Her mascara had probably spread all over her face to give her unflattering panda eyes by now, but she couldn't bring herself to care even the slightest bit.

"I want to be free." She whispered.

He hadn't expected that. His eyes widened as, to his immense shock, his heart filled with pity for the girl who had too much. Perhaps he had never thought of anyone with her status would feel the way she did, would have dreams, dreams to fly.

"You know," Jack said, leaning back in his chair and placing his head between his hands casually, "I'm not an expert but I figure life is a gift, right? I don't intend on wasting it. And you shouldn't either."

She glanced into his determined eyes.

This boy truly did not want her to die.

And he did it not for her wealth and riches, but out of the goodness of his heart.

"Why?" She asked softly. She didn't elaborate but he understood.

He smiled a gorgeous crooked smile, "Well, the Himalayan mountains would miss you, so would the beaches in Thailand and the pyramids in Egypt. I wouldn't want to deprive them of your lovely company."

She could feel her eyes gloss over. This boy, a complete stranger, could make her feel loved in a way no one else had ever tried to before.

"You are remarkable." She breathed out. And immediately, she blushed and clasped her hands around her mouth furiously, wishing she could take the statement, however true, back.

But he just laughed, "You're awfully nice for the stuck up brat everyone makes you out to be."

Rose smiled through her tears, "I'm sorry to disappoint."

He shrugged merrily, "I'll get over it." With that, he got up and dusted imaginary dust off his trousers.

"Well, I need to get to class. But do not fret, kind lady, you haven't seen the last of me yet."

And with that, he sauntered into the horizon, pen under ear, sketchbook in hand. 

OMG guys.

My life is a disaster. My IB boards are in three weeks.

THREE WEEKS.

I don't think it's really sunk in yet.

Anywho, I already had most of this chapter written, so I thought might as well publish it for you guys.

Just tolerate these late updates for a little longer guys, and in a month I will be freeeeeee.

That's until uni in September, but oh well.

Don't forget to vote/comment/smile.

I love you guys,

Rue.