Of Introductions and The Friendzone

Hey y'all. This is my first story on wattpad. I've been wanting to write one for awhile, so any encouragement would help! :]

-coults

        Let me tell you one thing about the friend-zone. It sucks. You get hit with one of Cupid’s arrows, fall for your best friend, and sit there and watch as they fall head over heels for everyone but you. You’re there to be the shoulder to cry on after every pathetic relationship ends, and then you have to watch as the cycle repeats itself over and over again. Best friend sees pretty girl. Pretty girl sees best friend. Best friend and pretty girl hit it off. Best friend falls in love with pretty girl. Things end. Best friend comes crying to me. I have got this thing down to a science

     But where does that leave me? I’m stuck playing the pitiful part of extra number three, waiting in the wings while the two lead actors frolic around onstage. I have to sit there in agony, feeling my heart lurch every time his face lights up when his flavor of the month whisper in his ear.  When I see him brush her hair away or rest his arms over her shoulders, I feel physical pain. 

     It’s almost as bad when he interacts with me. Every accidental brush of the hands makes me turn bright red and my stomach leap to my throat. Each compliment, no matter how miniscule, gives me hope that one day things will be different. But that’s stupid for me to believe. I’ll always be the sad little sidekick, longing after the dashing hero. I’ll be sitting in my home when I’m old and gray, watching television in silence with the man I settled for. I’ll be thinking back on my high school days, on where it all went wrong. I’ll think of all the things we could have been. The stolen kisses we could have had, the sweet nothings whispered in each others ears. I’ll think of how my life would be different. How I could be happy. And as I sit in my rocking chair, thinking on a love that could have been, all I will be able to do is picture his face. His laugh. His smile. All the memories will hit me like a tidal wave, and I’ll be brought back to this present hopelessness.

    His name was Kason. He was a solid six-foot-three; I came up to about his chest. He had sparkling blue eyes that changed color in different types of light. His skin was neither pale nor tan, which blended in well with the rest of the Texas population. The firm build of his muscles was visible through his clothes, which made me go a little weak in the knees. His lean build came from hours and hours of practicing baseball and running track, and Kason was good at what he did. I knew because I’d gone to every baseball game and track meet since freshman year. He had dark blonde hair that was always in some tousled style that took ages to perfect. When it bothered him, he’d give a simple flick of his head and swish the hair to the side. It was irresistible. Besides his hair though, my favorite feature of his was his smile. It wasn’t perfect, not by far. A little scar ran across the side of his lip, making his smile always a little crooked. I found it absolutely endearing. His perfectly straight teeth could make a room glow when a smile lit up his face, but the scar was always there. Maybe it’s the fact that he’s not perfect that attracts me to him. The way that smile broke out across his face when he saw me every day was enough to make my heart burst. Knowing I put a smile on his gorgeous face was enough to make me perfectly fine with dying right then and there, as long as his smile would be the last thing I would see.

      Okay, that’s a little too dramatic, even for me. Anyways, Kason was my best friend. Sure, he didn’t always have the most stellar personality. He was good at several things and he knew it. His athletic skills were pretty amazing. He used all of this to his advantage when it came to girls. So yes, he was a little arrogant, but his heart was in the right place. His flaws were outweighed by all of his positive qualities. Kason always knew how to cheer me up when I was down. He could make me laugh when I was determined to sulk away all my problems, and he never complained about how difficult I could be. He was my saving grace, the one who kept me sane. It was a wonder we hadn't driven each other absolutely mad yet, what with our personalities. But friends put up with each other, flaws and all. It probably didn’t help that I was in love with him. 

Thank y'all for reading! I really appreciate it. More to come soon!