A Man of Few Words: Final Chapter

Darcy Betrays a Thorough Understanding of Human Biology 

Darcy trotted upstairs to find Mrs. Reynolds and his wife removing the curtains in the front guest bedroom. He tucked his hands behind his back. He had been helping Max and the Walston boys unearth a tree trunk in Pemberley's west pasture, and his hands were filthy. Lizzy wouldn't care, but Mrs. Reynolds would scold. 

"These curtains can be hung in the back room," Lizzy was saying. "I'm thinking blue curtains in here--what do you think?" 

"They won't be too dark?" Mrs. Reynolds said. 

"Maybe--" Lizzy frowned. "Green, perhaps?" 

"I'll bring up some swatches," Mrs. Reynolds said. She gave Darcy a sharp look, but he smiled--You can charm anyone when you smile, Lizzy would tell him--and Mrs. Reynolds only sniffed and went out. 

He sat on the divan at the end of the bed and yawned. He hadn't meant to help with the tree trunk, but it was frustrating to stand by and watch people mishandle a task. He studied his hands and wondered if there was any more castile soap in the house. 

Lizzy was walking back and forth in front of the windows. His wife had an eye for color and had evinced an interest in decorating that surprised and sometimes alarmed Darcy. She was, however, much more frugal than he had anticipated. 

He said, "Charles is looking at estates in Stafford," and grinned as Lizzy spun towards him. 

"That's wonderful. Oh--" She paled and sat abruptly on the divan. 

Darcy looked at her in concern. "Are you all right?" 

"Yes. Oh, Will, it would be wonderful to have them so close." 

"I thought you'd be pleased." He gave Lizzy a hug and started to rise--they probably had some castile soap in the downstairs washroom--then stopped. Lizzy was short of breath as well as pale. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" 

She shook her head, frustrated. "Lately--I haven't been feeling so good. I'll be fine by lunch." 

"Maybe you're starting a baby," Darcy said and headed towards the door. 

He was halfway across the room when Lizzy said, "Will!" and he turned back. She sat on the divan, staring at him, her face pale, eyes large. 

"I think you're right," she said, slightly stunned. 

Darcy shook his head. Why was she surprised? Her mother was fertile--she had given birth to five healthy daughters and survived. 

He went back and kissed the top of his wife's head. He was pleased, though babies at this stage always seemed rather remote to Darcy. He usually visited them in his tenants' cottages after their births, bestowing coins, best wishes, and the occasional sapling. 

Of course, this baby--his and Elizabeth's baby--would garner far more attention and resources than Darcy had ever marshaled before. But Darcy rather liked the idea of introducing a new relation to the delights of Pemberley. 

"I've never had a baby," Lizzy said to his shirt, which made Darcy laugh. She grimaced up at him. "I've taken care of children, but this--" 

"Lizzy," Darcy said, still amused, "you can do anything." 

She laughed then and pushed him away: "Get along, you." 

Darcy went out to find the castile soap. As clever as his wife was, he thought as he ran down the stairs, there were times when she could be downright obtuse.

COMING NEXT: Persuadable, a tribute to Austen's Persuasion!