A Man of Few Words: Chapter 8

Darcy and His Sister Issue Invitations, and Everyone (Except Miss Bingley) is Pleased 

Elizabeth and the Gardiners departed for Lambton. Darcy strode into the house and requested a light meal. He hardly noticed eating it, and went to bed with a less troubled mind than he'd had in the last four months. 

The Bingleys and Georgiana arrived the next morning. While Mrs. Reynolds showed Charles, Mrs. Hurst, and Miss Bingley to their rooms, Darcy followed Georgiana to her sitting room. 

"Do you remember me mentioning the Bennets?" he said, prepared to repeat his previous descriptions, but, "Yes," Georgiana said. 

"Miss Elizabeth is staying at Lambton with her aunt and uncle. I'd like you to meet her." 

Georgiana gazed at him, and for a fleeting moment, Darcy thought she seemed on the edge of laughter, a mischievous state. But no, he was reading Elizabeth's expressions into his sister's face. 

"I would be pleased to make Miss Elizabeth's acquaintance," Georgiana said. 

"This afternoon," Darcy said. "If you're not too tired." 

"No," Georgiana said, still studying him. 

"How was the drive?" 

"I listened to Charles tell me all about the beauties of Hertfordshire," she said. 

If he didn't know better, he'd think his sister was becoming coy. 

Mrs. Annesley came in then; Darcy requested Georgiana's presence in half an hour--she would be prompt; his sister was not given to tardiness, thank goodness--and went down to the stables. He met Charles there, admiring Darcy's latest purchases (Charles never spent more than ten minutes unpacking). 

"Where are you off to?" he said when Darcy ordered the curricle. 

"Miss Elizabeth Bennet is visiting the area," Darcy said. "I am going to introduce Georgiana to her." 

He hadn't considered how Charles would react to mention of the Bennets, if Charles would be upset or shamefaced, but Charles smiled hugely and said, "Oh, let me accompany you," and Darcy agreed. 

Georgiana came down, and the three of them squashed into the front of the curricle. It was a fresh day of crisp sunshine and cool breezes. As they rode, Charles told Darcy about the trip from Oxford, nudging Georgiana to confirm his (occasionally droll, mostly innocuous) observations.

Soon after Darcy and Charles met, Darcy had wondered if Charles would try to court Georgiana once she left school. He couldn't imagine that now. With friendly indulgence, Charles treated Georgiana like the most obliging of younger siblings. Besides, even Darcy's quiet sister would walk all over Charles in a marriage; she was a Fitzwilliam after all. 

The ride proceeded with no delays, and they drew up outside the Lambton inn well before the dinner hour. It was an older building in Elizabethan style, an abundance of straight, square lines.

Darcy went in first through the rounded doorway with Georgiana. Elizabeth and the Gardiners were resting in the inn's upstairs parlor. They stood as Darcy and Georgiana entered, Elizabeth flushed, her countenance faintly quizzical. She looked how Darcy felt. 

The Gardiners greeted the disruption of their morning without fanfare, and Darcy relaxed as he brought Georgiana forward for introductions. Georgiana found it hard to meet new people, but he trusted the Gardiners and new that Elizabeth would also help put her at ease. 

He was correct. Elizabeth asked Georgiana sensible questions; Georgiana answered with soft directness. 

"You spend your summer months at Pemberley?" Elizabeth asked.