"You told her about us?"

"I did," said Shaz, "and she thinks that you would make a wonderful wife."

"That great," said Anya. "I can't believe we're engaged. It's so wonderful. I'm sure that Aldena will approve, but I haven't told her yet."

Shaz nodded. "I'm sure she'll approve too, especially when I win the Throne of Cathal."

Anya didn't really want to talk about that right now; thinking of Rian losing the throne was sad. But then, Rian didn't seem that interested in being king, however; Shaz had been training his whole life for this. She was sure that he was a great mage.

But Shaz caught her expression and stopped himself. "I'm sorry; you're thinking of your cousin. How insensitive of me. We won't speak of it."

She smiled; it's like he could read her mind. "Thanks."

He drew her closer to him. "Anyway, I don't want to think of the Challenge. Tonight is just for us. And for you. I am so glad to have found such a lovely lady to make my wife. I think we will be wonderful together."

"So do I," said Anya, with a small sigh.

He held her close and kissed her tenderly, wrapping his hands around her waist. This kissing become more fervent as the minutes went by. Shaz's hands began to move and explore her body. This both excited and flustered Anya, who began to worry that the situation was moving too quickly for her. Then again, his warm body next to her, touching her closely, also began to fill her with desire. She'd never been this close to a boy before or felt so sensual. She hesitated to stop it.

Then she felt him unbuttoning the front of her dress to expose her breasts. She pulled back from him. "Wait," she objected.

"Don't be afraid," said Shaz.

"I think we should slow down," said Anya.

"Don't worry, everything will be all right," he said soothingly.

Anya hadn't seen Leeza for awhile. She and Shaz were alone on the balcony. Shaz kissed her again. She felt his hand caressing her breast. Her back was up against the arm of the bench, which was cushioned, but he was leaning against her and it was hard for her to get free.

She pushed him back enough to break the kiss. "Stop," she said. "I don't feel comfortable with this. I don't want to."

"Maybe you don't know what you want," he said, undeterred. She struggled a little to get free, but his left hand was on her shoulder and he wouldn't let her up.

"You have to trust me," said Shaz. "I know what I'm doing."

"Please, Shaz—"

"Shh," he said gently. "I don't think we'll need this." He took off her hat, the one that was enchanted to help her understand their language.

"No," she objected, but he cast it aside. Nor did he let her go. He began again to kiss her. She struggled to break free but couldn't, nor could she get him to stop. And now it was even harder to communicate because she had to speak Vassi unassisted. In the end, it made no difference anyway.

* * * * * * * * *

The morning sun crept into the bedroom where Anya slept, waking her gently.

Her eyes were red from crying after the events of last night. She'd tried to rebuff Shaz's amorous advances but he had refused to stop. Then he'd given her another cup of wine or medicine, she wasn't sure which. After that, things got a little foggy. Though she could still remember that they'd had sex. More than once.