Then he held the bat steady, waiting for Kenny to pitch.

"Come on, DeNunez," he said.

Benny fisted the catchers mitt a few times, taking Ham's usual position behind home plate.

Kenny threw the ball over the plate. Ham swung, and missed.

Everyone cackled, and Kenny keeled over, taunting him with laughter

"Yeah, okay," Ham nodded putting a hand up in defense. "Yeah, I see it, I see it."

He got back in batting stance once again.

"You call that pitching?" he asked, rhetorically. "This is baseball, not tennis!"

The boys whooped, taunting his strike.

"Get him a tennis racket!"

"Give me something to hit!"

Kenny's gaze settled in on Ham's fierce determination.

"All right, Ham. This is my heater," he warned. "I dare you to hit it," he challenged, pointing a finger at Ham.

"You'll be sorry," Ham muttered, scrunching his nose in concentration.

Ham's grip on the bat flexed, his knuckles whitening, pupils focused on Kenny's hand.

"You want the heater? I'll give it to you."

Kenny lifted his knee, and carried out the rest of the motion, letting the ball go. His heater crashed through the air–

CRACK!

It was met by the good end of Ham's bat that sent it flying into the sky, higher, higher, farther.. over my head– Scotty made a run for it–

–then it went right over the solid fence, out of sight. The sound of shattering glass caused everyone to cringe.

Whoops.

There went that window.. or a car. Or anything with glass, really. We couldn't see over the fence.

"Yeaah," Ham growled, clapping his fists. "That's how you do it, Smalls!"

"Ham, you idiot!" Benny scolded, springing up from his squat. He flung off the catcher's mask and hit Ham in the shoulder with this mitt.

"Now we can't play no more!"

Ham was smiling however, and he began to run the bases.

"Great, you idiot!"

Smack!

"Ham!"

Whack!

"Stupid! Idiot!" the guys began to call, running in to beat him with their gloves.

They were all yelling and complaining about not being able to play anymore. They were so mad, they chased him all the way around the bases back to home plate.