The Car Garage

Amanda's POV

I looked up from underneath the hood of the car I was working on as footsteps sounded. Daryl soon appeared in the doorway. "Hey," I greeted. Looking back to the car, I said, "This carburetor has been giving me grief. Frustrating as all hell". When he didn't say anything, I moved to the other side of the car so I moved to the other side of the car so I could get a clearer look at him. There was minimal lighting in the garage. Most of it was provided by the moon, but I had one candle as well. Nevertheless, I could see something was clearly bugging him.

I didn't get a chance to ask, though. Something glinted off his expression that caused my heart to speed up. In the blink of an eye, he was down the steps and across the room, looming right over me. He pressed me against the car before kissing me so hard my legs almost gave out. Stars swam behind my eyes as he pressed further into me, tangling his fingers in my hair. I parted my lips slightly in invitation as he nipped at my lower lip. He backed away slightly, expression clouded.

I placed a hand on either side of his face, brushing his hair to the side "What?" was the only word I could think of. Daryl took my hands and kissed them. My cheeks started to burn with blush. He traced the blush that formed there, no doubt making it grow. A shit-eating grin appeared on his face, and I wanted to punch it clean off.

"Where's all this coming from?" I asked, desperate to change the topic.

"Nowhere", he replied.

"Daryl", I warned.

"Manda", he replied, mocking my tone of voice. I scowled at him, which did nothing to faze him. Daryl's gaze had sharpened. He wasn't going to supply anymore answers to clear up my confusion. His movements resembled liquid as he pulled at the loops of my jeans, closing all of the remaining space between us so I was flush in the middle of him and the car. He dipped his head down and sucked at my collar bone, almost positively leaving marks as he went. I had suspicion this wasn't accidental either. One of his hands moved to the back of my neck as his lips trailed upwards.

My mind was racing, but it went nowhere. All thoughts and concepts had been erased but two. One, what the hell was going on? Two, don't stop. I knew where this would potentially lead, and a deep part of myself screamed to run for the hills. The majority, though was frozen in place --- weak at the knees and wanting to trust him.

He stopped and moved into my vision. Noses grazing each other and foreheads touching. Sincerity poured from his blue eyes, but for the first time there was an edge to his movements as well as his gaze. He was nervous.

He looked away as he reached around me and opened the back door of the car. Once it was open, he took a few steps back. The question was clear, and I knew I could say no. I knew that if I shook my head, we'd head back.

Despite the face running seemed like an excellent idea at the moment, I walked up to him. My arms went around him as he grabbed the back of my thighs, picking me up with ease. I trailed light kisses along his neck. As I placed one behind his ear and on his earlobe, I took notice in the sharp inhale of breath. My back was suddenly pressed into leather as Daryl skillfully maneuvered us into the backseat.

A slight flare of alarm shot through me at the closed quarters, but it was chased away as Daryl carded his hands through my hair. To hell with space, it was overrated anyway. We both froze as I had my hands at the collar of his shirt, and his were at the hem of mine.

"They're on my back," he said lowly. "It ain't pretty. Didn't want ya to be surprised or nothing".

"Me too," I whispered. "And my hip and my shoulder. They ain't pretty either".

Daryl nodded in approval before I quickly unfastened the buttons on his shirt. I sat up slightly to push it off his shoulders. He wiggled the rest of the wat out and dropped it on the floor. Arching my back slightly, Daryl lifted my shirt up off me and tossed it beside his.

His hands went to my hip bones, the pad of his thumb barely grazed against the tip of the scar. I sucked in a breath. He looked back up at me and pressed a slow kiss to my lip.

"S'all right," he murmured.

With shaky hands, I ran my touch along his spine. My fingers grazed over both tough scar tissues as well as sinewy muscle. He copied my movements, and I shuddered when his light touched came upon scar tissue.

He trailed back up my spine and paused at the clasp of my bra. I pushed back at his shoulders until I was sitting up and he was sitting on my legs. He kept his hands splayed on my back. His eyes asking and nervous, I nipped at the skin behind his ear before saying, "Go ahead." He fumbled once before successfully unclipping it. I cast it aside. As he went to kiss me, I pulled away slightly, laughing at the pout that pulled at his lips. He tried once more, and I repeated my action. A low growl escaped him before he shoved me back into the leather seat. His spine curved as he moved on top, causing our stomachs and chests to brush against each other. Both of us jumped at the contact, but didn't felly move away. His elbows were placed on either side of me. Stomachs flush.

We both knew what the next step was. The air grew possibly heavier. Daryl absentmindedly ran his thumb underneath my eye, holding my gaze. Finally, he just asked, "Yo-you good?" He cleared his throat, eyes darting away.

My breathing had grown shaky. "Y-yeah." I cursed the slight tremor in my voice.

He looked up at me. "Manda- "

"I, uh, it's just..." This was the last wall I had up. After that, I'd be completely vulnerable to him. It would mean I had now trusted with everything. 

"I know, Manda. I know", Daryl said softly.

Of course he knew. Similar thoughts were running through his head as well. I looked away from him, unable to stand how exposed I felt under his gaze. I was trying to pull myself together, but somehow I kept slipping. There were so many things that could go wrong with this.

"Hey," he said, pulling me from that edge, "don't get lost up in that head of yours without me".

With a smile, I pushed back at the whispers of insecurity. Placing a hand on either side of his face, I kissed him. When we parted, Daryl kept his eyes closed—nervousness visible in every aspect of him. He started all this, but his own demons were starting to show their cards.

I wondered how long we had both been terrified of feeling vulnerable, of losing that wall. If we would've shown a moment of weakness, our worlds would have combusted but that ear was gone now. Who knew what tomorrow would bring us. It was time to stop being terrified.

There was a slight tremor in Daryl's stance, a giveaway of just how nervous he was. I reached over and gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He stilled underneath my touch and opened his eyes. Leaning in, he kissed me.

"We're fine?" He asked.

"I think it's safe to say we're more than fine". He lit up, causing me to smile. "There's a first for everything, right?"

"Hell yeah there is," Daryl replied his voice low and that same gleam back in his eyes.