Chapter 38: Relapse

Erick

I need to call Salma's parents, it's going to be hard to do it but I have to.

"Que pasó, Erick." David answers his phone.

"Es Salma..." I sob.

"Que le pasó a mi niña?" He begins to panic. He already knows what's happening, he's been through this his whole life.

"¡Le dio un infarto!"

"¡Dios mío, no! Llegaremos lo más pronto posible." He says.

"¿No te han dicho nada?" David asks me when him and his wife arrive to the hospital.

"No." I shake my head and wipe the tears away.

"¿Como ocurrió?" He asks.

I'm in sort of a shock that I can barely speak properly. Salma had a heart attack in front of me, that's scarring.

"Muy difícil de hablar de eso." I say.

"Family of Salma Haro." A nurse says in the waiting room.

"Please tell me how is she." Lorena cries to the nurse.

"She's alright." She replies and we all sigh in relief. "She's still recovering though."

"Can we go see her?" David asks and she nods. The three of us walk to the room she's in.

"Salma, ¿cómo te sientes? Estas bien?" Her parents ask her all sort of questions.

"Gracias a Dios estoy bien." She speaks weakly and it breaks me.

"Salma, nunca me dejes." I cry to her. I sit on the bed with her and hold her in my arms.

"Nunca te dejare, amor mío." She cries with me. "Erick, no te preocupes, he tenido peores ataques."

"Mija, no te quieres venir a casa más noche?" David asks her.

"Yo ya vivo con Erick, esa es mi casa." She says. I gently squeeze her hand to calm her.

We hear a knock and then the doctor comes in.

"Señorita Haro, ¿podré hablar con usted y sus padres?" The doctor asks.

"Erick, ahorita puedes regresar." David says to me.

"Erick es parte de la familia también, quiero que se quede." Salma says and no one objects.

"Bueno... Tiene semanas con dolor en el corazón?" The doctor asks her.

"Sí." She confesses.

"¿Como no dijiste nada?" David asks her. Even though he's raising his voice at her, I agree with him.

"Esto es grave, Salma." I tell her.

"Por una vez quería ser normal, quería aguantar el dolor." She says.

"Por querer aguantarte, mira lo que pasó." I say to her.

"Señorita, su condición es muy grave para no avisar si tiene algún problema." The doctor tells her.

"Pero yo ya me estoy curando." She defends herself.

"Aunque has mejorado los últimos años, todavía tienes que cuidarte mucho." He says to her.

"Doctor, honestamente estoy muy cansada para escuchar que me regañen. Mejor dime qué hago para mejorarme y punto." She says to him.

"Te recetaremos más medicamentos, luego te contaremos lo demás, es mejor que ya no te alteres." He tells her.