Fifty Three

Over the following three hours, I quickly learned that Riggs was like Cato, but he brooded more. Also, he didn't laugh. Like, ever. At least Cato reacted, especially when I dropped things. Riggs didn't even give me that. He just stared at me when I dropped things.

I liked Ace. He relaxed as the hours wore on, and even laughed a few times at Riggs' expression.

At dinner, I sat with them. We ate late, and were three of less than twenty people in the room. The food wasn't very good--relatively bland soup with hard bread. Maybe I was just spoiled. I was definitely spoiled.

I shifted in my seat and looked at the two men. Ace sat in the seat beside me, looking down at his tray as he ate. Riggs, across from him, was staring off somewhere over Ace's shoulder.

"So," I said slowly. "Where are you two from?"

They both paused. Ace looked at me with startlingly clear eyes. "The Capitol." He said.

"Really?" I didn't mean to sound so surprised. "Neither of you have the accent."

Ace shrugged. He looked back down at his bowl. Slowly, he pushed away his tray. "It's a long story. Not one I'm sharing now."

Riggs said nothing for several minutes. He stood suddenly. "I have something to do." He took his tray and left. I tried to look at Ace, to figure out what had happened, but he kept his head turned away from me. I didn't see Riggs again that night. Ace showed me silently to my room, and I changed slowly into the cotton shirt and pants that someone had tucked into a drawer for me. My last thought was the realization that I hadn't seen Saylee or Jake.