3 - Batman Boxers

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Brent says, after 10 minutes of silence. I turn to my right to look at him."I saved you the big-mac." Those were the first words to cut the tension. His first words after I have a crazy psycho breakdown, kill my mother, and get brought to the police station being accused of a crime. I looked at him, gaping, wondering how he could joke at a time like this.

"Are you shitting me?"

That made him crack a small smile. "No," He chuckles. "I am not 'shitting' you. I was going to save it for you the second you left for the bathroom but then, uh, yeah. That happened."

"You mean before I began a bat-shit crazy murderer?" I snorted. My face fell flat again. I had no energy to humour anyone.

"Well, I wouldn't put it that way." He said, dragging out the 'y'. "Oh, and you look like crap."

I rolled my eyes at him and glared. "Whatever." Stupid jerk. I thought girls 'dont eat bigmacs'.

We sat in silence until my dad came back. I watched the clock on the wall tick, although it made time go by even slower. I began eavesdropping on the faded background noise; the chattering of police officers and detectives. I then felt Brent gazing at me, if it wasn't for my drained state, I would've blushed.

"Okay thank you," I hear my dads voice, "I'll have to get the camera here by tomorrow morning correct?" My dad walked back into sight, Detective Mason by his side.

"Yes," Detective Mason responded. "As soon as we file all the paperwork, all we have left to do is search the house. Maybe we'll find something, but who knows; the house may be unfortunately all burnt down." My dad just nodded tightly.

"C'mon kiddo," My dad said when he reached me. "Detective Mason told me everything that happened. We're not going to talk about it. We're all going home." Exhausted, I nod. I was thankful he didn't want to talk about it any further.

Mason then walked behind me and removed the handcuffs off my arms, and gave me a small head shake. He shook hands with my father and spoke to him about a phone call. I immediately rubbed my wrists, I felt relief with them off.

We groggily made our way outside the station. The sky had darkened, the moon was rather large in the foggy sky. Exhaustion was obvious on my face as my lids threatened to drift closed as I walked. "How far away is your house?" I asked my dad as we entered Brent's car, which my dad had to get from the Mcdonalds parking lot.

"Our house," He corrected,"---Is in Toronto."

My eyes nearly bulged out of my eyes. "What the hell?" He gives me a look.

"Language, Alainna."

"Sorry," I grumbled. I wasn't used to watching my mouth around my mom. She always swore and so did I. "How are we getting there?"

Brent looked at me with a goofy smile, "We're taking a plane, first class. Provided by me." First class? Was this his way of cheering me up?

Although I was shocked, not having been on a plane since I was 6, I still had too much on my mind. Lazily, I jogged to catch up with my dad ahead of us. Thankfully, Brent hadn't followed. "Dad.." I began.

He slowed his pace and looked at me. "Yes?" He said softly.

"Is.. mom dead?" I asked toneless. None of it felt real. It felt like my worst nightmare, I was just waiting to wake up.

He tried to mask his sadness, but I caught it before he gave me a reassuring look. "Well, we don't know what that video was honey. You know that with the technology we have today, things aren't always how they appear and there's a good chance that she's still alive." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than he was trying to convince me. I just gave him a tight smile and nodded. I didn't reply.