Chapter 17 || Play the game

• COMMENTS = QUICKER UPDATES •

Dedicated to Moss_IT and @yaszuu for your incredible comments and dedication to the story. It means so much, thank you! Xx

"I was just a boy in the shadow of a man."
— The Truth, James Arthur

Ares needed someone to talk to, even if that someone was the guy whose career he had just single handedly ruined. Maybe Caleb would take a swing at him and maybe he had it coming. If Caleb wouldn't, Carrie probably would. The thought of Aphrodite being the only person left on the planet who would still talk to him scared him to death. He hadn't felt this alone since he'd left Olympus. His glassy eyes checked the mirror again. If he went anywhere near Grace's apartment Fly would know, and it would be game over for everyone. The handwritten note burned a hole in his pocket. He doubted Caleb was up for doing a favor but he had to try. She deserved to at least know the truth.

***

Caleb's house was as dark as the feeling in the pit of Ares's stomach. He parked behind Jay's Honda Accord in the street and shut his car off. Absolute silence washed over him. He reached for the door handle and noticed a pair of headlights blink out in his side mirror. Ares's heart jumped. He climbed out, glancing at the silhouette of what looked like a Ford Taurus parked a block and a half down the street. A black shadow sat behind the wheel like it was death itself. The sweat glistening across Ares's forehead had nothing to do with the humidity lacing the night. He stumbled up the driveway, careful not to brush against Caleb's blade silver Corvette. The side gate in the privacy fence gently clicked open. He stepped through and carefully shut it, not wanting to wake Carrie or the kids.

Ghastly thoughts assaulted him as he stumbled along the side of the house. He wasn't sure which he found harder to believe: somebody was tailing him or that he was now engaged. Caleb and Jay whipped their heads around when Ares rounded the corner like he was a serial killer. Tiki torches cast jumping shadows across their bewildered faces, enriching the night with the potent scent of citronella. Recessed lighting lit up the swimming pool behind them, casting an eerie glow around the yard. Ares stopped in front of the patio table with his hands in his pockets as they quietly took each other in.

"What the hell?" Caleb murmured, setting his beer down and sitting up straighter.

Jay crushed a cigarette into an ashtray overflowing with shriveled butts. "What're you doing here so late? Don't you have to work in the morning?"

Ares quietly pulled back a chair and dropped into it with an exasperated sigh. He ran a hand through his hair, not sure where to even begin. Caleb got up and went inside and Ares didn't know if he would be back or not. It seemed like just yesterday it was Mindy's birthday but so much had happened in such a short amount of time and, deep down, he knew things would never be the same.

Jay furrowed his brow. "Are you okay?"

Ares laughed like people do when they haven't slept. "No, I'm not."

Caleb came back outside and traded a look with Jay as he passed out bottles of beer with his smiling face plastered to their sides. "You really know how to pick em, man."

"Look, Caleb, I'm sorry about..."

Caleb raised a hand. "Shit happens. No one could've seen any of this coming and whatever happens was meant to be."