Opeomund - 1

Adwin's Battle to End the Corrupted

The vast, open grassland of flowers and the trees providing shade reminded widow Elizabeth Bigge of the wonderful times of her childhood prancing around with all her friends--they all played with dolls their mothers knitted for them, and joyously roamed unworried of any trouble. So many years have passed by, and now what can be watched are her two boys playing with sticks and acting like they were swords. 

As soon as the sunset approached, Elizabeth commanded her children to return to the cottage for their supper. The children sat down enjoying the aroma of fresh butterscotch pie their mother cooked for them. Next to the butterscotch pie were cooked chicken and barley porridge. The children's appetite for food enlarged. Elizabeth cut the chicken into pieces firstly for Collins, her older son, and then for Adwin, her younger son. She placed bread on the side of their plates, along with the porridge. The children were fond of her cooking and devoured them as slow as they could to savor each bite. The mother soon told the sons to sleep in a cozy cot for as long as they desired.

You see, almost every cottage, cabin and dwelling there were was like this very cottage. Most people lived happily under the rule of the king, who lived in the kingdom of Norwick, the center of the realm. The other realms had a peace treaty for a few more years which mostly led to a fortunate age. Everyone was well-fed and the poor quickly changed into "richmans," which was what people referred to as when someone had plenty of coins. This had been true...until two years later. King Wimarc had been slaughtered and a new king, the old king's slaughterer, had taken the throne. Workers were carved into slaves, knights were forced to behead unwillingly, the bonds with other realms loosened and the entire realm of Opeomund changed from a happy time to what was considered an unfortunate age.

Twenty years later, Collins and Adwin both harvested crops like corn and carrots and brought them back into the cottage. Collins entered their mother's bedroom and laid his right hand on her forehead. Elizabeth was overtaken of fever and was in sickness for more than just a few weeks. Collins dragged her blanket up to her chest. "Take rest, mother," he said. The mother smiled and shut her eyes. Adwin ran to the attic to visit Elizabeth after placing all the crops in the cabinet next to the kitchen table. He smooched his mother on her left cheek. 

Adwin chopped venison into pieces on the kitchen table while Collins was tasked to plant more crops. The moment he stepped outside, a knight of the empire stood to observe the crops Collins planted. "You there!" the knight shouted. "Come here, young man!" Collins felt a chill to his spine, for he knew how strict the laws set up by the proclaimed king of the realm were. "Where are your papers to prove you are permitted to set up crops for yourself?"

"I-I do not have the papers," Collins said, realizing that he had forgotten about the newly-placed law. The law was that farmers were not allowed to provide for themselves as all crops would be sent to the kingdom. The man jabbed him with the rear of his blade and soon yelled at him. "You shall respond to me with respect, young man! I am a sir to you, nothing less," he said.

"Tell me, young man, about your dwelling," the knight of the empire said, "is there anyone else living here?" 

Collins paused for a second and glimpsed at the cottage. There were his ill mother and his younger brother he had sworn to protect. "No, no one lives in my dwelling,"--Collins recalled why he was jabbed--"sir." 

The knight clutched Collins's hand and speedily dragged him across the road. Adwin gazed through the window and sneakily followed the man. Once the man reached the gates of Norwick, more guards were deployed. Once the gates to the kingdom were opened, a hooded figure had risen. "Bring him to me," the hooded man ordered.

"Yes, my king," the man said while dragging Collins. All the people living in the town had exited their home to watch what was happening. Collins shook and felt anxious being unable to see through the king's hood. "Please forgive me, my king," Collins begged. The king ordered for one of his henchmen to bring him an edged blade, the same he used to slaughter the previous king of the realm. On a wooden platform, Collins was shoved down to it. The king beheaded the head of Collins, and blood gushed out. 

The hooded figure spoke in a calm, soothing voice. "This is what happens when the laws of the realm are broken, no matter how small they are."

Adwin sprinted back to the cottage.