Chapter Five

Perrie's asleep when he gets back. He sits down on the bed, thinks about the words Harry had said to him and the words Gigi had told him. He looks down at Perrie who was sleeping peacefully, not aware of all the horrible things he had been doing to sabotage their relationship to the very extend. After all, she's his best friend first and girlfriend second.

Harry and Zayn don't talk after that incident.

Zayn stays in his art room with his curtains closed, drawing. Harry works on his assignments. Perrie does yoga. He can't do this anymore; he needs to talk to somebody. Zayn's running out of time, and Perrie turns sadder every passing day.

He has the ring.

The one his mother had handed to him with a smile, promising to give it to the one who makes him happy. It's been lying with his art supplies. He can't risk it in his and Perrie's joined wardrobe, Perrie would definitely find it. All that's left is to propose.

So he calls Harry on a late night.

"What?"

"Sorry. Were you sleeping?"

"No." Harry muttered. "I was studying."

"Okay. It's just... I'm confused. And scared. Can we meet?"

"Now?"

"Backyard."

"Okay." Harry whispers. "I'll climb over yours."

Zayn doesn't try to make a joke. He cuts the call and walks outside. Perrie's asleep, and he makes sure not to make any loud noise and alert everybody. He takes a deep breath when he walks out, looks right at Harry's backyard. He wasn't there.

He sits down at the beanbag kept there. Perrie was sat outside reading, she might have forgot to keep it back.

Harry's there. He looks right at Zayn with no expression visible on his face. He climbs over the tiny fence and stands in front of Zayn. "What is it?" Harry asks. Zayn gets up from the beanbag and bites his lower lip slowly. "Sorry. I know you were studying but... I—I have to make a choice."

"What choice?" Harry asks. He's more confused than angry.

"The proposal."

"Right." Harry says with a smile. "You're doing it?"

"Should I?"

"Why are you asking me?" Harry's annoyed. "I mean nothing to you. She's the love of your life, isn't she? I'm just a teenager that you've had a little fun with. Nothing major, mate. You've known me for like, three months. I don't know. Who am I to tell you?"

"Fuck, Harry. Just tell me." Zayn grabs his hand. "I'll do it. I'll get on my knee and propose her. But you know what it means? I'll have to invite you, your family, Liam and all her people. That's how it should happen. Should I do it, Harry? Put an end to us and finally start being a good partner?"

"Do you love her?" Harry asks.

"Yeah. Of course, we've been together for more than five years."

"Is it necessary to invite my family?" Harry asks.

"Why not?"

I don't think I can watch you promise yourself to someone else. It's on Harry's lips, but he can barely say a word. "Five years. Do you know that time doesn't mean shit if that time is spent in fucking misery? And even a day spent with someone else is more valuable than those five years, if you spent that smiling and being happy." Harry says. When Zayn lets go of his wrist, he steps closer to the older man and presses their foreheads together.