Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"No. He will not punish you for acting out of fear," Rose assured. Mira raised one eyebrow skeptically. "I will talk to Tristan, he will understand."

"Er-" William began, raising one finger in protest.

"He will understand," Rose insisted, silencing William.

"How could he? I have made a terrible decision," Mira cried, wiping away the few tears that had fallen.

"Mira... do you think you can help us? The King and Tristan will view you favourably if you assist us."

Mira shrugged helplessly. "I want to, but I cannot help you escape. Even I do not know where Eliad's spies are situated - even if I released your bonds and we fled in the night, they would find us."

Rose felt her face fall.

"That is okay," William spoke up. "Prince Tristan will no doubt be here soon. I imagine we will not be captive much longer."

"What can I do to help?" Mira asked desperately.

"Merely help us however you can - bring us food and water when no one is looking. Tell us any information you hear of Eliad's plans. Listen for any sightings of the Prince."

Mira agreed, and just like that, Rose and William found themselves partnered with an ally.

That had been a week ago, and Tristan still had not arrived. Rose tried not to let doubt and fear enter her mind, but she could not help wondering where Tristan was. What was taking him so long? Rose finished her food and folded the cloth and handed it subtly back to Mira.

"Have you heard any news?" William asked Mira as she shoved the last morsel of food into his mouth. Mira took his cloth and shook her head sadly.

"I am not of high enough ranking to hear anything. Eliad has been very private. His officials go in and out of his tent often, but they do not talk about what they are planning. I have not heard any news of the Prince either. I am sorry, Rose," Mira replied, looking at Rose with true compassion.

Rose tried to shrug casually, but her heart felt heavy and her eyes filled with tears. She missed Tristan so much it hurt. I just want to see him again, God.

"He will come, Rose," William promised, nudging her gently with his shoulder.

"I believe you," Rose said with a smile.

"Does Eliad truly believe he will be able to take the castle and fight all of the King's highly trained knights?" William mused out loud.

"He is mad, he must be," Mira said quietly. "He has been training everyone with using weapons, but even then we will not be as skilled as the knights."

"What are you all speaking of?" A voice asked suddenly. Everyone turned to look up. Eliad had appeared, his eyes narrowed and suspicious.

"Nothing, Eliad. They were asking me for more food," Mira said calmly. Eliad did not seem to pick up on the lie.

"They are not permitted to have more food."

"I know, sir," Mira said meekly.

"Good. You two," he said, turning to glare at Rose and William. "Stop talking to my people or I will gag you again," he warned. Rose and William exchanged wide glances and nodded submissively.

"Eliad," a voice said. Everyone looked up to stare at the man who ran up to them. He was short but looked strong and trained. His cheeks were flushed and he panted for breath.